Evernote 10.56.8 Quit vs. Sign Out

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I just got 10.56.8 installed on my Win10 machine.  What is the difference between signing out of Evernote and quitting? Does one have an impact on whether a device is considered in use by Evernote? Do I need to both sign out and quit? I use the web interface almost exclusively, and only log in from the desktop to create what I assumed was effectively a copy of my notes on the local machine. Occasionally I may log in from the Android app  but that is rare, and I always log out of the Android app rather than just closing it. 

I've also noticed it appears to take around 10 seconds for a note to come up on the Windows app where it used to be relatively instantaneous. Does that have something to do with the new sync that I have seen comments about? 

I'm not a paying user so I don't have a complaint one way or the other. I'm just trying to understand what has changed. 

• Level 5
  • Solution

Close window / X/cmd-W - terminate the foreground window of the app, the background process continues (important for example for continuing downloads)

Quit the app / ctrl/cmd-Q - terminate all processes, app is completely closed

In both cases the login is kept, and will connect to the same account when restarted.

Logout - terminate the connection to a specific account. You can connect to another account, while the app keeps running. Or you log out because several people use the computer, and you don't want others to access your EN data.