IPhone counting twice as device

I only use Evernote on 2 devices - my iphone and my laptop. Somehow it’s registering my phone as being 2 devices. I tried having it remove one but it still shows up as 2 and it’s saying I used the other in the last hour. It won’t let me use it at all on my phone now. I haven’t changed phones in years. How do I solve this issue? 

IMG_8648.jpeg

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK Evernote tries to recognise devices by IP address - which is far from an exact science.  You can use the same device to connect from home and work and create "two" device records without any problem.  If you get a device warning - or suddenly find that you just can't log into Evernote the device limit may be the issue

Free users are limited to connections from two devices per month,  with the possibility to remove device(s) also limited to 2.  They emphasize that any form of regular use of the app really requires a paid subscription.  Web access via Evernote.com counts as a device.  Remove devices here: https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

Once the device limit is exceeded the account is effectively locked.  There are 3 ways to access notes - 
    > Subscribe - even if only for a month (if that option is available).
    > Wait out the current month - access to remove devices will come back after a period
    > Set up another free account to use in the meantime

More here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068 

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem a week or so ago.  Evernote saw my iPhone as two different devices, one with its actual name and another with a generic name.  This had never happened to me before in years of Evernote usage.  The flaky system is designed to lock you out easily so that you wind up paying for Evernote's mistake.  I was about to sign up for the trial subscription so I could collect my data and flee to a more trustworthy app, but then it suddenly rectified the problem. I did export and save all of my data on Evernote. Good thing I did. A few minutes ago the problem recurred and I'm locked out again.  Two strikes is enough for me.  I'm moving on.  I understand and appreciate the explanation above.  It basically lays out why the free version is unreliable.

• Level 5*
On 9/20/2023 at 11:42 PM, jackresiak said:

It basically lays out why the free version is unreliable.

I don't use free apps for anything requiring reliability - you tend to get what you pay for.  Subscriptions on the other hand give you access via unlimited devices,  and to Support if you have any issues.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually I doubt that EN cares about a free user posting here that he left the app because the device limit stopped his desired usage. Identifying a device is not simple, specially with Apple devices that cloak many unique identifiers for apps because they try to protect the privacy of the user. So if the device limit kicked in and stopped using a device, that’s more or less what is expected from a device limitation. You can’t make scrambled eggs without breaking some.

For EN what counts in the end are paying customers - this is no difference to any other company.

• Like 1