Grouping notes

tch_17

Idea

A feature that allows you to group notes in notebooks. Below are the attachments showing how I imagine it.

I think this feature would be very useful, especially when there is a need to divide different topics into groups. Currently, there is a hierarchy: stacks, notebooks, notes, but in my opinion it is not enough for extensive tasks. Thank you in advance

image.png.e42ef4494ca5938dc2b75bdf31f36909.pngimage.png.88c00e082be739f9754925084844bb3e.png

• Like 1

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Your idea is just a version of nested notebooks: Requested since long, not supported by the current data model, would require a complete redesign of the current software, backend and clients. You can think about the chance to see it now / soon / ever …

If you want to group some notes, select them, create links, place the links into a TOC (table of content) note. You can navigate from the TOC to any of the notes, and via backlinks always find your way from any of the notes in the group to the TOC note.

Using this approach is far superior to that nesting stuff, vintage the 70s. Example: Say you have some projects, each one with a group of notes. With a nested structure, each note could only be in one group, never in several. Without nesting and a TOC approach, you are free to have one single note show up in several TOC groups. You have one single note with your time log, for all projects, used for invoicing ? Put it into all TOCs, you always jump to the same time log, and can punch in your effort. The time log note will have several backlinks, each one allowing to go directly to any of the TOCs to which it is linked.

This shows again that the backlinks are a very useful extension to the concept of TOCs.

• Like 1

Another approach is to use tags which already allows infinite levels (there may be  maximum number but I'm not aware of it). Provided you are disciplined and don't create random tags on the fly it works very much like a nested folder/notebook system. One limitation is that you can't use the tag name more than once. The advantages are that notees can have multiple tags and you can then search for any combination of tags you want.

So for example I have a $pinned tag for important notes (notes I would pin to the top of a list if that function existed). So

tag:maths tag:$pinned

finds all my most impotant maths notes. I can do the same using the filter. 

In addition I have some notes about my local area and some notes about history. If I want to find notes that are about the history of my local area I simply search for notes containing both tags. 

• Like 2
On 3/31/2023 at 6:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

Your idea is just a version of nested notebooks: Requested since long, not supported by the current data model, would require a complete redesign of the current software, backend and clients. You can think about the chance to see it now / soon / ever …

If you want to group some notes, select them, create links, place the links into a TOC (table of content) note. You can navigate from the TOC to any of the notes, and via backlinks always find your way from any of the notes in the group to the TOC note.

Using this approach is far superior to that nesting stuff, vintage the 70s. Example: Say you have some projects, each one with a group of notes. With a nested structure, each note could only be in one group, never in several. Without nesting and a TOC approach, you are free to have one single note show up in several TOC groups. You have one single note with your time log, for all projects, used for invoicing ? Put it into all TOCs, you always jump to the same time log, and can punch in your effort. The time log note will have several backlinks, each one allowing to go directly to any of the TOCs to which it is linked.

This shows again that the backlinks are a very useful extension to the concept of TOCs.

I use Tags very similarly to this, but I can't use Tags in the online version at work (they won't allow the download of the Evernote client software) and your suggestion sounds even more elegant.  Do you know of a YouTube video that goes into detail on this topic?  I'll do a search, but sometimes it's difficult to find a good resource detailing how best to use a strategy.  Thanks for your comment.