Resolving a note count difference between web client and desktop client in a large notebook

I have a large notebook and need to back it up completely so I've installed the desktop client to do this. When looking at the notebook through the web client versus the desktop client, the note counts are different. I assume the web client is accurate and the desktop client has a low count.

I'm not sure what folks will need to know about this so here are some general observations:

• Web client: 144644 notes
  • Desktop client: 141942 notes
  • (A difference of 2702 notes)
  • Web client and Desktop Client stay up to date when creating new notes from either source in that notebook.

The desktop client has been sitting at this number for several days. I don't think it's going to pick up the last bit. I've started a ticket for this but thought the community might know how to resolve it. How do I get this desktop client to reconcile and find its missing notes? Is there a broader issue causing this miscount and should I be concerned?

• Windows 11 Pro
  • Desktop client 10.50.10 (3842)
  • 32GB RAM
  • OS on internal 500GB M.2 SSD, Evernote on external USB-C portable 4TB
  • AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote is moved to a 4TB drive via symlink
  • AppData\Roaming\Evernote is handled the same way, moved by symlink to a 4TB drive
  • (confirmed 400MB/s transfer rate)
  • Holiday Cheer 12.7% (Starbucks)

Thanks,

James

• Level 5

I am not sure what you are counting, but the number of notes in a single account is capped at 100.000.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247

It might be you are on a Teams account, where the limit is 500k notes, shared among all users of the account.

Beside this there may be a data corruption of the local database. You can correct it by this procedure (Windows):

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, Phurter said:

I'm having the same problem but on Mac. Desktop client shows 229 notes, web shows 246. This is concerning.

Hi.  Try tagging your 229 notes with a temporary identifier and then search for any notes with,  and without that identifier tag on the web.  Check that you have the same number of notes in the Trash notebook in each client.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

It might be you are on a Teams account, where the limit is 500k notes, shared among all users of the account.

It is a Teams account. This notebook is shared with about 350 users.

I've followed the instructions to wipe and rebuild the data for the desktop client. It was given ample time to regenerate. There is still an offset of several thousand notes.

Most of our users use the web client. Almost none use the desktop client due to the notebook's size. On the desktop clients I've seen, they all exhibit this issue. It's not just mine.

Below is a side-by-side of the desktop client and web client. The difference in note count is circled in yellow highlighter. Not having posted to Evernote forums before, I don't know what's customary to sanitize before doing screenshots so I just blanked out stuff that looked account-specific. There is still a difference of about 3000 notes.

image.thumb.png.319d776f595ff6184eb7028656c2efcf.png

There is a difference of 1300 notes in the Trash when comparing desktop and web. 17259 in trash on desktop, 18567 in trash on Web.

Thanks!