How to insert a link if the path has pound/hash symbol?

Abdul Aziz

Idea

Hi everyone,

I want to make a link but it looks like the link cannot contain the hash symbol. 

The path is : D:\OneDrive - ABC\2022_SP#\Customer A\SP#11\Bill of Material SP#8.xlsx

I don't think I can rename all the file names or folder names just to create a link in evernote. Hopefully there is a solution. Thanks

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I can confirm that clicking a link in Evernote with the form file:///C:\Users\ME\Documents\Wisdom.pdf does open the file in my default PDF reader, but adding a #, such as file:///C:\Users\ME\Documents\Wisdom #.pdf returns an error message when I click it. So this does seem to be something intrinsic to Evernote's file-opening system (filenames with # open fine using the Windows 10 Run command), or perhaps the fault lies in the Electron framework that Evernote relies on.

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can confirm that clicking a link in Evernote with the form file:///C:\Users\ME\Documents\Wisdom.pdf does open the file in my default PDF reader, but adding a #, such as file:///C:\Users\ME\Documents\Wisdom #.pdf returns an error message when I click it. So this does seem to be something intrinsic to Evernote's file-opening system (filenames with # open fine using the Windows 10 Run command), or perhaps the fault lies in the Electron framework that Evernote relies on.

Okay Dave, thanks for your explanation.
I think there is another way, but it turns out I need to rename all the folder's name and file's name that contain hash symbol. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Abdul Aziz said:

I think there is another way,

#-characters are used withing html:-URLs to seperate a server part of the URL from information that is interpreted on client side (within the browser). EN10 seems to do its best to handle this (over-developed and simply wrong in my eyes) 😞

In file:-URLs #-characters does not have a special meaning, so at least with that, EN10 should not change anything.

Evernote Legacy has no problem with this. You may use the older version until Evernote fixes the bug - but be not tooo optimistic 😉