It should not be this difficult to export/backup data that we own

We've used Evernote for years to hold tax receipts. Getting a new accountant means that Evernote is no longer necessary, but it appears to be either impossible or extremely difficult to simply export all notebooks.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a premium service like this, and whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. This is basically vendor lock-in - they make it next to impossible to take your data with you, and the only export tool I've seen gives you an .enex file (wtf is that?) that can only be used by Evernote.

In other words, we'll let you have your data but you'll need to pay us again if you want to read it.

Also, as a Linux user, why in 2022 after many years of being stuck in Beta do we still not have a client? Even the Beta only gets momentarily released. Why is this so difficult?

I used to love Evernote - even referred people as an affiliate because I liked it so much. Now, I just can't wait to get my data (will have to hire somebody to manually copy thousands of individual notes out it seems) and never use it again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  It's possible to export notes to either ENEX or HTML formats.  ENEX is a format that can be read by many other note-taking apps.  HTML is readable outside the application.  If you've been adding receipts as PDF files attached to notes,  you don't necessarily even need to export the notes - there's a 'save attachments' option which could save the files under their original file names in standard PDF format. It's also possible to print notes to PDF if you require.

As to 'pay us again' - its possible to downgrade your account to a free one and leave your data where it is - it will still be visible in Evernote even without subscription.  

The Linux client is still in private beta but can offer all those options. If you can explain in a little more detail what you need to do,  maybe we can suggest something more specific.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, donovan84 said:

We've used Evernote for years to hold tax receipts. Getting a new accountant means that Evernote is no longer necessary, but it appears to be either impossible or extremely difficult to simply export all notebooks.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a premium service like this, and whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. This is basically vendor lock-in - they make it next to impossible to take your data with you, and the only export tool I've seen gives you an .enex file (wtf is that?) that can only be used by Evernote.

In other words, we'll let you have your data but you'll need to pay us again if you want to read it.

Also, as a Linux user, why in 2022 after many years of being stuck in Beta do we still not have a client? Even the Beta only gets momentarily released. Why is this so difficult?

I used to love Evernote - even referred people as an affiliate because I liked it so much. Now, I just can't wait to get my data (will have to hire somebody to manually copy thousands of individual notes out it seems) and never use it again.

I have no experience with this, but this may be worthwhile to look at:  https://www.bitrecover.com/evernote/converter/

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, eric99 said:

I have no experience with this, but this may be worthwhile to look at:  https://www.bitrecover.com/evernote/converter/

Wow - that utility can apparently convert anything Evernote into literally anything else. No disrespect,  but I'd make sure you have a solid backup of anything you use it on.  It seems too good to be true!

On 11/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, gazumped said:

Wow - that utility can apparently convert anything Evernote into literally anything else. No disrespect,  but I'd make sure you have a solid backup of anything you use it on.  It seems too good to be true!

Yeah, sounds too good to be true... Anyway, your data is safe since this tool takes ENEX files as input. It doesn't connect to your evernote account, as far as I understand it...

• Like 1