No longer able to unsync on Evernote Free

I have the free version of Evernote. I recently upgraded to a new phone, and tried to unsync my old phone. I attempted this twice in September, and had an issue where the unsync would not work. The selected devices would not unsync, but the attempt would use up one of my two unsyncs for the month. It would also log me out of Evernote on the current device. After two unsync attempts, I was effectively locked out of my account  

Since we were nearing the end of the month, I waited for October to roll around, and tried again this morning. Same issue. 

The options given on the unsync screen, the selection process, etc. all looks fine. But when I actually hit the “Save and Continue” button, Evernote doesn’t actually make the change and complete the unsync. 

I’ll attach screenshots. I would appreciate some technical help on this, since (one again) I’m effectively locked out of my account with no way to contact support unless I upgrade. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Same exact experience on my end. Using the free version, got a new phone, the app prompted me to upgrade or unsync. I selected the new phone and unsync'd it. The unsync didn't work, but it used one of my two unsyncs per month. Tried again. Lost my 2nd unsync for the month and my old phone is still not unsynced. So basically, I tried to work within the provided framework and now I'm locked out of my notes.

@gazumped I don't think the options should be to upgrade or wait it out. The first option should be that Support fixes the bug.

• Level 5*
On 10/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, tyshelley said:

The first option should be that Support fixes the bug.

That's not gonna happen.  It's not a bug - it's a designed restriction to limit the usability of a free product and 'encourage' users to ante up (even if only for one month to fix this issue) or find something else.

It seems to me that non-paying users get a very good deal over time - free cloud storage, product updates, efficient searching and access to the Forums for free help & support. If you can continue to use it within its narrow limits,  it is possible to continue for years (apparently - according to some users here) but I think it's crazy to risk your data with a service you don't have any kind of contractual or financial relationship with.  

• Level 5

It is no bug.

But you decided to use a weird process to unsync your old device. Usually I would pick up the old device and first log out of my account there. Because if I don’t it will still be linked up with my account. Then I use the „other“ device, open my account there and go to settings, devices and unsync the old device. Now my account is prepared to accept a new device.

I take the new device and log in. It will accept the fresh login, because the account is only synced into 1 device at that moment. Piece of cake ….

Logging in on the new device while the old is still logged in and synced means forcing a 3rd device into the account just to get rid of the first one. From there is goes downhill, hitting the unsync barrier head on.

Now it means patience (30 days), or subscribe for a month to open the account to accept any number of devices.

I am having the same issue as above.  The Unsync is not working.  It must be a bug and is very frustrating.  Is there a correct way to Unsync? 
I no longer have the old device so can not log out from it. 

• Level 5

You mentioned it yourself: The usual way to unsync is to log out of the account on the outgoing device first. While logged in EN has the device still on its screen, and there may be problems. Beside this, logging out will remove any chance of abuse.

The easiest way when the unsyncs are consumed is to subscribe for a month. It will lift the devices limit, and it is then easy to unsync, or if it doesn’t work to contact support to help out.

The alternative is to wait 30 days for the unlock, and then make a new run on unsyncing.