Evernote notes missing from new iphone

I have used Evernote on my iPhone 8 for about 5 years.  Never paid for a subscription and don't recall that I ever even  formalized a log in or credentials.  Had to get a new IPHONE 13 in August, and it migrated all my apps easily except Evernote.  It showed up with zero content, and requests to 'sign up' and pay for upgraded levels.

I had about 10 old notes from the past years that were active on my old iPhone, and content still shows as holding memory storage on the old iPhone.  But neither iPhone will acesss/find these notes.

And attempts to contact the help support at Evernote go unresponded.

Is there anyway I can recover these old notes.  Was a membership perhaps automatically generated when I loaded the app the first time years ago?I certainly don't want to pay for a month of upgraded service just to find out that they are gone forever.  I don't know how this business can just drop all my content without a warning or advise I need to have an active membership. 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, sakaufman57 said:

I don't know how this business can just drop all my content without a warning or advise I need to have an active membership. 

Hi.  Not sure you can complain too loudly about a service you didn't pay for and seem to have barely used...  and in any event your content will be safe once you can get back to it.  Free contracts are subject to a number of restrictions including a maximum number of connected devices,  so the chances are that you have exceeded that magic number with your new phone.  You'll also need to use the 'forgot password' link at Evernote.com (sign in via a browser) and disconnect any other devices you find connected to your account. 

There are some standard help screens here - Understanding the device limit

• Level 5

I am pretty sure you have an account user, since you needed it when you created your account. You can set it to never log in again, and then you won’t see it in a long time. But the credentials used in the background to make sure you were the rightful owner of the account were stored on your old device.

Now somebody buys a new phone. The same somebody is not able to proof who he is, and that he is the rightful owner of the EN account. Nothing is stored on the new device, because access is bound to a device. And because there is a device limit, and the old device was not dropped before trying to log in on the new one, the unknown user is as well exceeding the allowed number of active devices.

And you are whining here EN would not give you access to your notes ? You made everything wrong that you could do wrong, but think the vault should pop open anyhow ? Full breach of privacy (no credentials) plus full breach of plan limits (number of devices).

Your notes are safely waiting on the EN server for you - if you do the right steps to get there, they are all yours again.

1. Find out your access credentials - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313998
  2. Find out which devices are synced to your account. There will likely be 2 of them - one being the old iPhone you want to drop. Find out which one is the other device. This one will be the only one left after you unsynced the old phone, and you need it.
  3. Now log out of the app on your old iPhone. Log out means logging out in app settings - not only closing the app, as you probably always did.
  4. Now use the „other“ device to go to account settings, and unsync the old iPhone where you just logged out. The „Devices“ tab in account settings will only show one device.
  5.  Now the account is prepared to take on a new device. Install the app on the new iPhone, open it and log in. It should work now without giving problems, showing your notes after a short initial download.

ok I will try this.

Not expecting EN to give me a bunch of stuff for free, but their migration from old to new iphone should have been as seamless as the other 30 apps I have and use.... those didn't need any particular intervention and just worked on my new phone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, sakaufman57 said:

their migration from old to new iphone should have been as seamless as the other 30 apps I have and use.... those didn't need any particular intervention and just worked on my new phone.

I doubt any of these apps have a devices limit. EN offers a Free model without a time limit - the devices limit is the main driver to decide to subscribe.

With most other apps you pay invisible, with your personal data. This EN doesn’t do - they don’t generate income from their free users by selling their location, other app usage, etc.