Preventing Duplicates

I have a fairly large academic website with a lot of PDF and web pages that support my research. For my PDFs specifically, I have historically imported them into Google Drive because if I am bringing in a duplicate, it tells me. To ensure I keep duplicates out of my files structure, I never change the name of the source file.

I have decided to bring these into Evernote. However, I do not see any feature or method that easily detects or sorts for duplicates. Does anyone have advice on how to do this.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote has no mechanism to ensure that duplicates are not imported,  but it would quickly become apparent if there were more than one identical match for any search term.  Importing a file into Evernote is usually a question of simply emailing,  dragging and dropping,  copying and pasting,  or using the browser 'clipper' add-in.  If in all those cases the app did a search before it imported the file,  the operation would take twice as long - and where some duplication were found,  there might be additional considerations of whether the two files are identical or one might be a later version of the other. 

PDF files are attached to notes,  with the filename -usually- being the note title.  If a given search generates duplicate titles it would be a matter of moments to delete them.

12 hours ago, jjordan said:

I have a fairly large academic website with a lot of PDF and web pages that support my research. For my PDFs specifically, I have historically imported them into Google Drive because if I am bringing in a duplicate, it tells me. To ensure I keep duplicates out of my files structure, I never change the name of the source file.

I have decided to bring these into Evernote. However, I do not see any feature or method that easily detects or sorts for duplicates. Does anyone have advice on how to do this.

If you import the pdf files via an import folder, the system will warn you for duplicates. The cost is that all your imported files are kept in the import folder as well. Not an ideal solution, but you may use it temporarily while moving all your files into evernote.

You may configure an import folder in settings -> import folder