Lost Content after adding a device

I run Evernote on two macs (A and B). I recently bought a new mac (C), and migrated data from a Time Machine backup of B. In the meantime, I was still using Evernote on A. When I started Evernote on C for the first time, it migrated data as of the last time I used B, which was several days old. It did not sync to the latest work I had done on A, because I only have two devices as part of my Evernote account. I then revoked B so that now the two devices that are on my Evernote account are A and C. But then it synced as if C had the most up to date data, and now I lost the work I did over the last few days on A! Can I get back my data from the last few days? Thank you.

• Level 5*

Hi.  You seem to have complicated your life considerably.  To install Evernote on a new system,  download and install the software and log in with your usual credentials. 

Evernote will use the 'parent' copy of your notes,  held on their servers,  to download and install your working database on the new device.  To change the approved device,  uninstall Evernote and disconnect the old device before trying to connect with the new.

You only have a limited number of disconnections per month,  and your 3 card shuffle with devices may have used them up.  The good news is that as long as your original notes were synced with the server you should be able to see them in Note History - when you have sorted out your assigned devices.  Access to Note History is a subscriber-only service,  as are unlimited devices;  so a month or so's upgrade should get you back on track.

Understanding the device limit

Use note history to view older versions of a note

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually C had the most up to date data, because you made it so yourself.

The core problem is you decided to use a TM backup to somehow frickle an EN database, instead of just unsyncing the device you want to skip, and logging in on the new device. EN holds the master copy of your notes on its own server (not in iCloud) and serves it to your devices from there.

What you did was replacing the existing notes locally with „newer“ content from TM. In fact the new content was old, from the backup, but EN had no chance to know this. I still don’t understand in every detail how you managed this, because usually the syncing is quite robust, but somewhere in your dance with 3 devices you made a bad turn.

@gazumped has proposed a solution through note history. It is probably the fastest method, and when you have the money to buy a new Mac, I think you should have the change somewhere to buy a month of Personal to sort it out. As a bonus you get support access, case the problem runs deeper than we may see at this moment.