Multiple Columns for text formatting (IPad os)

Jerod.gann

Idea

I understand that Evernote isn’t a word processor, but I still use it to create documents for planning. It would be helpful for viewing purposes in many instances if there was an option for multiple columns in the note. 

11 replies to this idea

@PinkElephant That helps. Thanks. Although, it would be much easier to have a formatting option to select text as a whole and multiple columns similar to MS Word as opposed to copying and pasting to each cell and then having to adjust later. 

I realize the Evernote format may not be conducive to how MS does it, but surely they could develop a similar feature, right?

I’m not sure how it would work. Maybe a click and drag floor divider to the content desired for columns or maybe just a line divider inserted after content. 

Select typed content - columns toggle - partial line  appears under selected text - user is able to type above divider in columns or below in normal formatting. 

• Level 5

There is no „page“ equivalent in EN, and EN is no layouting tool. I don’t think we need to discuss technical details here - I don’t think there will be a general column feature added.

It doesn’t not fit into the concept of a lean note taking editor. Using a table as already proposed is as close as we will get, ever.

Just my interpretation of what I see …

Anybody can ask for anything - by the feedback function or through a support ticket.

14 hours ago, Jerod.gann said:

Maybe a click and drag floor divider to the content desired for columns or maybe just a line divider inserted after content. 

Yeah - I think you'd have to do something like that, else the content would not know where to wrap.

We'd have a similar issue to handle with the widths, because Evernote layout is also page-less, in that the note can take the whole width of the viewable area. So we'd have to be able to set a right margin or perhaps it could also be set to resize to the width of the content.

I'm sure they could do something like that, if they wanted to -- like if they thought the amount of work that went into it and the amount of work to support it was worth it.

• Like 1

@PinkElephantSorry, I thought I posted in the forum for feature requests. I appreciate the advice but really my intention was to offer a potential improvement for people who love Evernote (as I do) and who don't want to look elsewhere for note-taking needs.

My bad. Thanks for the response though

p.s. - I think they surpassed "lean note taking editor" with features like stacks, tags, dashboard, calendar, todos, business/ organization level co-op, etc. Just my opinion but I get your point.

• Level 5

About width: Modern UIs choose the width depending on the devices screen. It will adapt, showing other width on for example a phone than on a tablet, and different again on a desktop.

By editor I mean what is really needed to edit a note. Type the text, make it look ok, add lists, bullets, numbers, headers, the like. It is what you call when you start editing a note. It is assisted by everything behind the blue + - this is beyond the editor and has its own properties.

The rest is metadata, organizing the content into manageable dimensions.

You can post in feature request, no problem. It is just that we other users discuss (openly) about what is posted. Contrarian positions are not intended to take value away - not from the idea, and for sure not from the fellow user who posted it.

57 minutes ago, Jerod.gann said:

Sorry, I thought I posted in the forum for feature requests.

@Jerod.gann - You did and I thought your post was great and was inline with the forum guidelines. It seems crazy to have a forum called "Feature Requests" and then when you post a feature request you are told that we don't need to discuss it here and to send it to the feedback function black hole instead.

Sometimes, it's just fun to discuss and hash things out even if nothing will come of it.

• Like 1