Evernote Helper screenshot feature always brings Evernote window to the top

Go to solution Solved by lotsa_notes,

Hello,

I've encountered a particular set of circumstances that makes Evernote screenshots via Evernote Helper frustratingly difficult to use and wanted to see if anyone's experienced the same.

Setup:

• Evernote: 10.40.9 (3493)
  • Multiple desktops enabled in MacOS.

User steps:

1. Press cmd-ctrl-N
  2. Select screenshot selection

Expected behavior:

• I should be able to select a portion of the desktop to create a screenshot.

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window jumps to the top of the desktop, essentially photobombing the screenshot.

Workaround:

• I have to drag the Evernote window all the way off to the side of the screen, so that when it photo-bombs my screenshot, the window is barely visible.

It's comical except for the fact it renders a simple, vital, amazing feature basically unusable.

I've experimented a bit and have discovered this seems to have to do with the options controlling how the app works on multiple desktops. This is set in the Dock, by right-clicking on the app icon as shown in the screenshot below.

image.png.2ec180210225fe8aaae1c5d523720689.png

By default, apps are assigned to "None." If I assign Evernote to "None" or "All Desktops,"  then Evernote Helper exhibits this photo-bombing effect, no matter which virtual desktop I'm on.

If I assign Evernote to a specific desktop using the "This Desktop" selection, and then move over to another desktop to take the screenshot, the photo-bombing effect does not happen.

The issue seems to be specific to the desktop assignment. When Evernote is assigned to "None" or All Desktops," I've tried minimizing the Evernote window, and flat-out hiding it. However, when I try to take a screenshot, Evernote photo-bombs my desktop. 

One could say, "just move Evernote out of the way when you take a screenshot." Yes, this works. I keep my Evernote window fairly large, so moving it out of the way is irksome. I'd rather just cmd-tab to bring the window I need into focus, and then take a screenshot without Evernote having to jump to the top of the desktop.

Instead of using the Evernote Helper to take screenshot selections, I now just use MacOS built-in screenshot command (cmd-shift-4) and drag the image into my notes, as it's faster than fiddling around with Evernote windows.

Has anyone else encountered this and are there any better workarounds? I seem to recall the old version of Evernote Helper could save the screenshot in memory, so that you could just paste it into your note.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else plagued by this issue, I contacted support, who recommended updating to 10.41.

I'm currently running 10.41.5 (3540) and there's an improvement!

Scenario 1:

• Hide the Evernote window (cmd-h)
  • Click the Evernote Helper icon in the system tray
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window stays hidden, does not jump to the top of the desktop. Allows the screenshot to be taken without interference.

Scenario 2:

• Minimize the Evernote window (cmd-h)
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window stays minimized, , does not jump to the top of the desktop. Allows the screenshot to be taken without interference..

Scenario 3:

• Evernote window is open on your desktop.
  • Bring another window into focus / on top of the Evernote window.
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window jumps to the top, potentially blocking the view you are trying to screenshot.

The update is worth installing.

• Solution

Clarification on the scenarios after more testing. Scenarios 1 and 2 (minimize the Evernote window, or close the Evernote window) with Evernote version 10.41.5 allow the screenshot feature to work properly when you're using multiple desktops on Monterey. I'm using the direct download version, not the App Store version.

Scenario 1:

• Minimize the Evernote window (cmd-h)
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window stays minimized, , does not jump to the top of the desktop. Allows the screenshot to be taken without interference.

Scenario 2:

• Close Minimize the Evernote window (cmd-w)
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window stays closed, does not jump to the top of the desktop. Allows the screenshot to be taken without interference..

Scenario 3:

• Evernote window is open on your desktop.
  • Bring another window into focus / on top of the Evernote window.
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window pops up to the top of the desktop, interfering with screenshots.

Scenario 4:

• Hide the Evernote window (cmd-h)
  • Click screenshot

Observed behavior:

• The Evernote window pops up to the top of the desktop, interfering with screenshots.  <-- corrected