No way to disable "There's a new version of Evernote" popup

loosedrag

Idea

I wouldn't mind this if Evernote didn't create a "new version" with every bug fix. Since they obtrusively decide to call each fix a "new version", please give your users the option of intruding into our own software to preserve OS complacency. Each time I see this message I find myself thinking, "Evernote is so needy. Please find a different program to use". Keep irritating me, keep bugging me, keep needling me...

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Obviously yes - and I try to avoid running outdated software on my devices.

Everybody who says „I don’t want to be notified every time …“ usually means „Never“. Most software avoids this, for good measure. When you open it, you get an update message if necessary.

Open EN right when you start the computer, if notified, update. Yes, it is that simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, loosedrag said:

Please find a different program to use

That might be the thing to do in your case if it's important to remain on the same version of software without being bothered by any upgrade notifications.

I can't really commiserate with you here as I think I've only seen one or possibly two reminders to upgrade the software in the last two years on 5 devices. That may be, in part, because I typically try to stay updated, but I'm still on 10.37.3 of the Windows version that came out on May 10th and I haven't seen a reminder upgrade for it yet.

• Like 1

I appreciate the input from both parties. I have not had smooth paths with upgrades, and don't, by default, upgrade software just because it's offered. I run macs though, and Apple never minds passing the burden of extra effort on to the end user. My upgrade experience may vary from a Windows user's. Evernote has distinguished itself by pestering me with more upgrades than any software I use on a long-term and regular basis, and since the Evernote interface is not a constant thing from my mac to my iOS to my android phone, I'd prefer things to remain constant. I never know what the minds of Evernote think will be "helpful" until it's too late to turn back. The legacy approach is something I might investigate when I'm done bitching about small things and can move on to smaller things  :)
I originally thought posting this ***** was a good idea because I was under the impression that Evernote powers read these posts, and I'd like to add my penny's worth. At least I can know I took the time to kick the edifice.

• Level 5

If you want to keep Mac and mobile in sync, you need to update. They release new features pretty much at the same time in both platforms. Updating one and not the other can lead to inconsistent behavior.

Beside this, not updating is your own decision. I think it is more reasonable to keep the dmg files of the prior version, which always allow a fresh install of the older software. But up to now, with 40 releases and counting I never had to use this exit.

• Like 1