Evernote app compatible with e-ink tablets (most importantly Ratta SuperNote)

gabrielecaredda

Idea

I have a SuperNote A5X and it looks like a device made by Evernote from an alternate dimension where they chose a slightly different path.

Because it allows me to get focused on what I have to read, write or jot down. And it's an e-ink device which allows me to spend less time on backlit screens.

It's on Android so it can run apps. At the moment the only one available is Kindle, and it's the reason I discovered it, because I was looking for something bigger than the Paperwhite to read on.

However, I'm not sure the Evernote Android app as it is would work on it. The e-ink screen might require less animations and a slightly different UI.

I strongly suggest you contact them and see if you can twitch Evernote to be perfectly compatible on the Supernote and make it the best productivity device ever.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

E-ink tablets are short of resources. They are optimized for long periods without recharging. Punny little CPUs, little memory, in total no performance architecture. EN on the other hand is running inside of a framework - practically a design like an app inside of a virtual machine.

These two concepts are on opposite ends of a longevity vs. performance scale.

In a few words: Nice idea - forget it.

• Level 5

EN has developed an app that works more or less independent from the platform used - if the platform is potent enough to run the underlying framework, that is.

You can ask for everything, but the idea that EN will develop and maintain another app just to let people with low powered hardware allow to run a stripped down version of the app is completely out of the development path we (as other users) can see. In my opinion you need another solution for your use case than to talk EN into such an adventure. They will not move, is my prediction.

However, my opinion. You can ask EN for everything by using the feedback function in the clients.

• Thanks 1

Evernote will eventually die if they dont do this. There is no reason why evernote should not be able to run a version on the latest E-ink devices, and - not surprisingly - those latest E-ink devices are creating software that does much the same (and more). Evernote has the benefit of years of streamlined design, and it is time to make a version for these emerging devices.

2 hours ago, ErikEmilson said:

Evernote will eventually die if they dont do this. There is no reason why evernote should not be able to run a version on the latest E-ink devices, and - not surprisingly - those latest E-ink devices are creating software that does much the same (and more). Evernote has the benefit of years of streamlined design, and it is time to make a version for these emerging devices.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm just asking to be able to read a note saved on EN on my e-ink device.

I don't know who pink elephant is, if it's one person or an account shared by many people at EN, but this time they clearly didn't know what they were talking about. I wrote this before EN got bought by Bending Spoons so maybe they will reconsider.

I read that there is an app called Readwise Reader whose founder is interested in the e-ink market. Sadly, I found out they can read anything you save there with no privacy whatsoever.

Evernote will eventually die if they dont do this.

Are E-ink devices really that popular as far as general computing devices go? I mean, I think this would be cool but I wouldn't think that Evernote's long term viability would depend on it's support of something that has well below 1% marketshare of computing devices?

There is no reason why evernote should not be able to run a version on the latest E-ink devices

All of Evernote's current versions of applications run on the Electron framework, which doesn't run on E-ink devices.

Seeing as how Bending Spoons recently pulled back continued development of their Linux client (running on that same Electron framework), I can't see them investing time into something like this.