A broken OS device sync is causing multiple symptoms: vanishing text, locking up of Evernote, and more.

This is any iPad or iPhone.  Multiple people have reported variants of this issue and because it has caused multiple different symptoms, it’s been described differently each time.  It’s this: Sync doesn’t work properly on OS devices: iPad or iPhone locks up for a good amount of time and text vanishes only to sometimes reappear.

When you tap the sync check mark icon, it seems to freeze for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.  During that time you cannot tap on Search or go back to Notes using the icon.  Tapping sync again does nothing.  Reinstalling doesn’t help (and constantly reinstalling this app when I rarely if ever have done that with other apps doesn’t instill confidence).  It’s always.  It’s easy to duplicate.  It’s multiple OS devices.  It happens even with all other apps closed.  

I’ve taken hours on hours today to document this issue because it’s got me at my wits end with Evernote and I’m fighting to finally get it resolved so there isn’t a mass exodus.

i just duplicated the vanishing text and sync button not working here:

• Level 5

You double post again, which is a) a bad habit and b) against forum rules.

I have posted a comment in the other thread - one of the many you opened in parallel for the one and same issue.

I won‘t repeat anything here. The only hint (because others may think you are right where you are wrong): What your video shows is NOT a problem with syncing (device-server communication). It shows a problem to write changes locally to your devices memory. All this happens on device, has nothing to do with syncing issues.

• Level 5

What you see in the video is that the saving is still going on. The green swash has not disappeared and was replaced by the back arrow.

But you keep on tapping the green swash (not very patient, I would say …). So it is still doing something in the background, and you hit „save this“ again and again. No wonder it produces malfunctions, maybe even destroying content. This „vanishing“ is created by yourself, tapping „save“ again and again.

Remark: While the app is working, it should not take any further user input. That is IMHO a GUI fail.

I doubt anything „vanishes“ when you simply wait until the green swash has been replaced by the back arrow.

Which leaves the question open: Why does it take so long ? When I reproduce it with a similar amount of text on my iPhone 11, it saves in an instant, and the back arrow shows. The only devices where it takes longer are our oldest ones, an iPhone 6S+ or an iPad Air 2. There is maybe a few seconds.

I will test using a new iPhone soon.  The very difficult part is that a video that duplicates the longer time frame issue - I where text vanishes when returning to the app is less practical.  I will try to find a way to show the more serious issue.

I was retapping for effect - It will do the same thing even if I tap once - which is what I typically do when not trying to highlight that I’m tapping.  But thanks for the tips.  

• Like 1

The same thing happens on my 9.7 inch iPad Pro. I opened a ticket and the suggested work around was to make sure I am logged of if EN on my iPhone and MacBook when using my iPad. Not practical.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you read through the different threads, you will find that when saving on device does not work, it is likely no syncing issue, it is a plain local saving issue.

Before anything can sync, it needs to save. Saving means the CPU and flash drive draw a lot of energy.

When you say iPad Pro 9.7, it means it is out of the first generation of the Pro series. 

Did you ever have your battery checked ? When it goes below 80% of its original capacity, Apple recommends to have the battery changed.

Just a theory, but something you can do. Get it checked and eventually changed. It will benefit your iPad use in general - with all apps.

IPad Pro is second generation.

battery is in good shape. I use extensively while traveling.

all other apps are snappy.

i did a complete reset yesterday and did not restore from a backup. This is an Evernote issue.

i have another theory. I have Lockdown on this iPad. When Evernote is saving, my iPad is constantly trying to connect to the google owned app-measurement.com. If I allow access to this tracking app, Evernote saves and syncs quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Then don’t block it … 

EN knows anyhow you use the app, because you need to be logged in, and it causes server traffic. When they are tracking app performance, fine with me.

But an interesting observation anyhow.

Lockdown is not that granular on the iPad. If I allow access to app-measurement.com, it will be active for every app. The information they collect includes:

I understand that EN needs to monetize the free users. I feel that by paying the annual subscription, I should be able to opt out of EN tracking me.

• Level 5

AFAIK EN is not selling user data anywhere. They use it to optimize their own services, which is fine for me.

If your tracking protection is not granular enough, it is a choice you make, either way.

Personally I am running a Pi-Hole that covers my whole home network. So as long as I am using my WiFi, no tracking. And no negative effects concerning EN use, as far as I can tell. 

And for the rest …

It would be naive to believe that EN isn’t selling user data. Most of their users are using the free product.

It would be interesting to know if pi-hole is logging any connections to app-measurement.com. If pi-hole is blocking these, I would consider doing this off of the iPad directly.

• Level 5

What got blocked ? This is taken from my Pi-Holes log, just now, after opening the EN client. Everything marked in red was blocked when I called the EN client on my iPad, the green calls went through. If I find something is damaging an app function, I can unblock it by whitelisting - or I can blacklist it. If I need more complex rules, I can define a regex term.

98FC371E-BE15-4184-BCC4-D6158B99A56F.thumb.jpeg.8e2466c1a2a1538aafa3419e4d5dac22.jpeg

• Level 5

About selling user data: I run 2 accounts, 1 subscription, 1 Free, with a different login. I have no hint at all that any of my access activity or logins leaked anywhere. I doubt EN is taking anything from the login or app use, and utilizes it for anything else than it’s own use to measure and improve the app. It may be they use services by Google and others, but (probably) not to harvest no sell user data.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, Fred97816 said:

IPad Pro is second generation.

battery is in good shape. I use extensively while traveling.

all other apps are snappy.

i did a complete reset yesterday and did not restore from a backup. This is an Evernote issue.

i have another theory. I have Lockdown on this iPad. When Evernote is saving, my iPad is constantly trying to connect to the google owned app-measurement.com. If I allow access to this tracking app, Evernote saves and syncs quicker. 

I’m willing to try anything to fix this as it’s so annoying. What’s “Lockdown?”

for me, Important notes are almost always clipped where I lose a phone number or some important final thing I wrote.  All devices, all good batteries, all in great working order and updated.

I wonder if there is some setting I turned off like “don’t send feedback to Evernote” that if I reinstall and turn on “send regular app feedback” it will make things better.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:19 AM, Fred97816 said:

The same thing happens on my 9.7 inch iPad Pro. I opened a ticket and the suggested work around was to make sure I am logged of if EN on my iPhone and MacBook when using my iPad. Not practical.

I agree.  I haven’t gotten much practical advice yet, and nothing has worked.  I feel like I’m always getting the *same* advice too: check battery, reinstall again, is Device old?  Which sadly doesn’t help - from my end, I press a button on an app, and then it doesn’t work - that’s all I know.  

From there there’s not much difference to me if someone calls something a local-save issue or a sync issue.  It’s just a “something that doesn’t work” issue for me.  

And whether the app is programmed to save locally or sync isn’t something I can control as far as I know?  From my perspective it’s just: “I press button, button doesn’t work, text vanishes, screen freezes.” 

I’m determined to champion this issue and have been getting into detailed work with support for some time now, so I’ll keep you posted, as I feel your pain, trust me.

• 3 months later...