Why are the Mac OS and iPad OS keyboard shortcuts not the same?

JoeBathelt

Idea

I’m using Evernote extensively on Mac and iPad. However, I find it quite frustrating the two versions of Evernote do not support the same keyboard shortcuts. For instance, I like to go through my inbox notebook once a week and move notes to more specific notebooks. I usually go through this in a few minutes on Mac, but it takes me ages on iPad because the sample keyboard shortcut for “Move note” does not exist on iPad OS. In my opinion, the iPad version of Evernote should aim for parity with the Mac version and not with the iPhone version. At the very least, please keep the keyboard shortcuts consistent between Mac and iPad OS when using an external keyboard.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You can‘t compare MacOS and iOS. IOS in general supports less keyboard shortcuts - a lot less.  I don‘t expect a full implementation of all MacOS shortcuts in iOS, and it makes no sense to expect it for a specific app like EN then.

If you want a specific shortcut you use often, you can issue a support ticket.

Actually they introduced quite a lot keyboard shortcuts for the iPadOS version in the last few updates. Still far from the current state of the macOS version, but a step in the right direction nevertheless. At least in editing mode the available shortcuts are mostly the same as in macOS (to see them just hold the Command key like in all iPadOS apps). But note handling like moving a note is definitely a blind spot in the list.

I share the general thought that the iPadOS version should be more like the macOS version and not like the iOS version. But I think the decision to cancel a separate (and therefore optimized) iPadOS version was made with v10 and they will not revise it. We can only hope that they introduce at least a few more tablet oriented optimizations in the mobile version like they did with the home screen recently.

• Level 5

From what I see the upscale iPad may be running on the same M1 Chip as the MacBooks - but they run on a crippled iPadOS, not supporting a lot of activities. Probably the lack of some shortcuts are related to these OS shortcomings.

AFAIK the mobile platform of EN v10 is running on a different framework than the desktop clients. I just hope it has the potential to evolve. True multitasking would be a huge benefit - like opening 2 notes side by side in split view.

Lets wait and see !