When I cancel...

• Level 5

You can access all notes, but you will not be able to save changes to any note larger than the Free limit. So you can save notes of up to 25MB, but notes between 25MB and your current limit (for most plans 200MB) will be read only.

Plus be aware that the monthly (!) Free Upload limit is only 60MB. A note always saves as a whole, which means if you change a large note close to 25MB, a seemingly small change will consume a large chunk of your monthly limit. Once you have used it all, the whole account is practically read only, until the limit resets after 30 days.

Plus some other effects, like not being able to search in pdf files any longer.

If you always had been on free, it may not sound like a big deal. But if you used the subscribers legroom up to now, it will feel a little cramped from downgrading onwards.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can access all notes, but you will not be able to save changes to any note larger than the Free limit. So you can save notes of up to 25MB, but notes between 25MB and your current limit (for most plans 200MB) will be read only.

Plus be aware that the monthly (!) Free Upload limit is only 60MB. A note always saves as a whole, which means if you change a large note close to 25MB, a seemingly small change will consume a large chunk of your monthly limit. Once you have used it all, the whole account is practically read only, until the limit resets after 30 days.

Plus some other effects, like not being able to search in pdf files any longer.

If you always had been on free, it may not sound like a big deal. But if you used the subscribers legroom up to now, it will feel a little cramped from downgrading onwards.

That's fine. As long as I don't lose my old notes.

I can always re-subscribe when Evernote gets back to the good old days.

• Level 5

There are no good old days. The good old days Management nearly brought EN to its knees, by selling socks and believing in good old days while the market changed, new competitors picked up and the own company was in a downward spiral. Good old days - maybe one release per year, just to keep the clients alive. Always too little too late. This should not be glorified !

No, you will not loose old notes, if this is what is important for you.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There are no good old days. The good old days Management nearly brought EN to its knees, by selling socks and believing in good old days while the market changed, new competitors picked up and the own company was in a downward spiral. Good old days - maybe one release per year, just to keep the clients alive. Always too little too late. This should not be glorified !

No, you will not loose old notes, if this is what is important for you.

The "good old days" as in the features I miss from the old software after the re-write finally returning. The technical good days (I'm not interested in the management - outside of the company's survival.)

• Level 5

Technically a disaster: How would you call a car that a company manages to build and even sell, but no mechanics are able to keep it running ? Maybe it even has a nice design, but you can't keep it operating for long.

That is legacy - all native code, no code sharing, reinventing the wheel all over. Windows 6.25 was even still 32bit code - the main client for desktops running on XP technology in 2020. Probably Mac was only lifted to 64bit code because Apple stopped all 32bit software on their newer Macs. As I said, too little too late.

This was fixed with v10.

I also think that Evernote would have gone the way of the mastodon if it hadn't pivoted with v10 like it did. Too many new and shiny note taking systems that were quickly outpacing what Evernote could do based on their old infrastructure. Things just keep getting better and better for me with Evernote (and I already think it's better than before v10), but I understand that for many the changes (and lingering problems for some) are too much. Perhaps there is a better tool out there for you.

One thing I wanted to comment on with regards to the original post (that I think I've mentioned before), is Evernote's storage model. I just think it's quite interesting. As a Personal user, I can upload 10 GB per month. If I did this every month for three years, that would be 360 GB of data. If at the end of three years I move my account to the Free plan I still have access to those 360 GB of data indefinitely (under the current strategy anyway). I don't pay anything, yet Evernote is still paying monthly to their cloud provider to continue to store my 360 GB of data indefinitely. And in addition to storage, Evernote is probably paying their cloud provider for me downloading data as well. Now, I know that use case is definitely not typical and Evernote would definitely have to change their structure if that started getting overly abused. But it is possible -- at least as I understand it.

Edit -- also I should add that I actually don't even upload 1 GB of data per month... I'm not taking advantage of what I have! I should definitely be doing more with Evernote than what I'm doing.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Technically a disaster: How would you call a car that a company manages to build and even sell, but no mechanics are able to keep it running ? Maybe it even has a nice design, but you can't keep it operating for long.

That is legacy - all native code, no code sharing, reinventing the wheel all over. Windows 6.25 was even still 32bit code - the main client for desktops running on XP technology in 2020. Probably Mac was only lifted to 64bit code because Apple stopped all 32bit software on their newer Macs. As I said, too little too late.

This was fixed with v10.

I've written software for thirty years. I do understand your point, but as and user for this product I'd take a 32-bit codebase with the features I used to have, over a 64-bit architecture that doesn't. I guess using your analogy I want a car with all four wheels, and not be told that the new one is super fuel efficient.,

19 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I also think that Evernote would have gone the way of the mastodon if it hadn't pivoted with v10 like it did. Too many new and shiny note taking systems that were quickly outpacing what Evernote could do based on their old infrastructure. Things just keep getting better and better for me with Evernote (and I already think it's better than before v10), but I understand that for many the changes (and lingering problems for some) are too much. Perhaps there is a better tool out there for you.

One thing I wanted to comment on with regards to the original post (that I think I've mentioned before), is Evernote's storage model. I just think it's quite interesting. As a Personal user, I can upload 10 GB per month. If I did this every month for three years, that would be 360 GB of data. If at the end of three years I move my account to the Free plan I still have access to those 360 GB of data indefinitely (under the current strategy anyway). I don't pay anything, yet Evernote is still paying monthly to their cloud provider to continue to store my 360 GB of data indefinitely. And in addition to storage, Evernote is probably paying their cloud provider for me downloading data as well. Now, I know that use case is definitely not typical and Evernote would definitely have to change their structure if that started getting overly abused. But it is possible -- at least as I understand it.

Edit -- also I should add that I actually don't even upload 1 GB of data per month... I'm not taking advantage of what I have! I should definitely be doing more with Evernote than what I'm doing.

Yup. I'm trialling Joplin to see what that's like.