look up words in a dictionary on MY Evernote Mac app

jabi

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

On my Mac I have installed a little menu bar helper called PopClip.

You can configure it to do a lot of amazing things - for example look up any selected text with a number of search engines. Beside the usual suspects it has options like Wikipedia and Wolfram. Very powerful - beats most other solutions.

Feeding a selection to search engines is only a small part of what it is able to do. Worth the small one time purchase.

• Like 2

Even more frustrating—and disappointing—than absence of the ubiquitous "look up" option in the contextual menu is that it USED TO BE THERE! Somehow it rolled off the edge of Evernote's tableau of useful features when a whole bunch of more team-oriented features were introduced. This is a writing app for heaven's sake! It would seem a no-brainer to maintain the "Look up..." option in the popup menu, but maybe that's the problem: the dev team isn't using a brain. Even my html text editor has "Look up in Dictionary" at the very top (see attached)! In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of any app that doesn't enable a quick lookup of a selected word or phrase. A third-party app should NOT be the solution. 

lookup-bbedit.png

nolookup-en.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You need to activate spell checking in EN preferences, Evernote menu.

Misspelled words are then underlined, and by a right click you get proposals (if there are any) - blue ? . Below it is the option to teach a new spelling - orange ! .

Since you believe you can contribute (and all these guys don't get it right):

https://evernote.com/intl/en/careers

Bildschirmfoto_2022-01-19_um_12_34_18.jpeg.f2f52c66595ae0b3d60bc8e0bf1158cb.jpeg

I don't see where I was rude by not appreciating your irrelevant participation in this topic. My frustration with a product I pay for is justifiable, and since this is a place to log general feature requests, I am logging my request to reinstate this feature that somehow got eliminated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If I did not understand your first post, never mind. Try to understand every subtle detail in my language (you could see from my post I am not a native speaker).

Other users is not the people you want to drop your frustration on - just as a reminder. Maybe feel frustrated about yourself - you picked the product, from a wide range of apps available for this or similar tasks.

EN offers 2 options to send requests into official channels: The feedback function build into the clients, and the support ticket. Feedback will not be answered, a ticket will get a reaction.

• Level 5

Personally I doubt that explaining the meaning of words is something a notes app must provide. If I feel the need, I copy a word to the clipboard, open Wikipedia and get what I desire. Or I use the PopClip menu bar helper I mentioned, and get a wealth of search engines and dictionaries at my disposition. It is not as if there were no solutions posted in my prior threads.

Anybody who wants to communicate with EN directly can send feedback, or (subscribers) issue a support ticket.

Here in the forum we are all users, and the owl of one user is the nightingale of the other. I am just sick of people coming here and posting that THEY know the only IMPORTANT function missing, and how SIMPLE it is to fix that shortcoming. A little more modesty would be better for all involved (including myself).

• Haha 1