Dark mode and no update notifications!

Hi everyone,

I really want to love Evernote but it's driving me CRAZY. My problem is that Windows desktop version always asks me update, I hate updating apps especially when I get used to them. It seems like there is a new version of Evernote once a week. Also the latest version has a "UPGRADE" sign on the bottom left which is an eyesore. I tried Evernote legacy version but it doesn't have full dark mode.

My question is:

What versions of Evernote has darkmode and has a feature to disable update notifications? Where can I download that version?

What version are you on that keeps asking you to update?  We've seen this before with specific versions.  I'd like to track down the issue.

New client versions (10 and above) support Dark Mode under the View menu.  Legacy versions (6+) have the setting in the Options under the General category.

I have tried many 10 & up versions, they all either have the update prompt or even update automatically to the latest version. 

This is what I have found to be true:

New client versions (10 & above) - Have full dark mode feature, however update prompt comes up whenever new updates roll out which is usually every 2 weeks. There NO WAY to turn off the update prompt.

Legacy versions (6+) - Don't have full dark mode, except you can turn left menu bar dark. You can turn off update prompt.

Basically if V6 had full dark mode it would be perfect, especially since it's MUCH faster than V10. This is such an unfortunate issue for a such good software. I think I will start looking for a different software that will fit my needs. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, bogdiesel said:

There NO WAY to turn off the update prompt.

Hi.  You are correct that there is no way to turn off the update process,  but what should be happening is that your version will update in the background - you should not see a 'prompt' requesting that you download a new package,  just confirmation that you now have an updated version - no action required.  That is happening rather frequently at the moment,  but since these are bug fixes and new features it's generally good news. 

I'd suggest you uninstall Evernote from your device,  restart your system,  and download and install the latest version.  Then, if you see a prompt at the next update, copy the window and post the image and your EN version back here.

• Level 5

Just as a reminder: Windows legacy 6.25 is still 32bit code, which is among other deficiencies the reason why it does not benefit from the system dark mode. It is abandoned as a platform for any further development for good. It may be fast, but it as well is outdated and can’t be maintained.

The frequent updates of the v10 client is related to the agile software development method. Instead of programming a massive release on a yearly cycle, the process is based on many short „sprints“, each leading to a release with a handful of features and fixes.

On average EN released a new version for the desktop every 2 weeks, for mobile every 3 weeks. 

It is foreseeable this release cycle will continue ! Software viewed from the agile thinking is never complete or finished. There is always a backlog, continuously filled with new features, fixes and requests, worked down by selecting the next items for coding, QA and release.

So better come to terms with it - like it or not, it is the fundamental way how the improvement of the clients is driven. Because each update builds the platform for the next one, and some reorganize the local database, I don’t think that updates should be intentionally skipped.

• Like 1