filter with sub-tags

If I right click on a tag which has sub-tags there is an option to "'filter with sub-tags".  Clicking on that looks for notes with all the subtags. It's an AND.  Just wondering what is the use case for that feature.  When would someone want to search for all subtags?

What would be really great is to be able to do an ANY: (effectively an OR) on all sub-tags so I do not have to tag with the parent tags in order to search by parent. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, kcdubya said:

What would be really great is to be able to do an ANY: (effectively an OR) on all sub-tags so I do not have to tag with the parent tags in order to search by parent. 

Full Boolean search is available in the Professional package.

21 hours ago, kcdubya said:

If I right click on a tag which has sub-tags there is an option to "'filter with sub-tags".  Clicking on that looks for notes with all the subtags. It's an AND.  Just wondering what is the use case for that feature.  When would someone want to search for all subtags?

I completely agree that a default of searching for notes which contain ALL the sub tags is nonsensical.

You can search for any of the sub tags using the advanced search syntax (no need for Boolean search). As a routine operation this would become very tedious but if there are some specific searches you can set them up and then save the search.

any: tag:sub_tag1 tag:sub_tag2 tag:sub_tag3 

• Like 1

Right.  I certainly can "hand-code" an ANY: query, but what I am looking for is a query builder that does it for me for what I would think is a very common use case.  I can build the query and get the results in the Evernote Legacy version by simply clicking on a "parent" tag in the tag view. Unfortunately, that feature was removed from the "new ui" version of Evernote.