The Mac Evernote app keeps creating duplicate notes

When I'm working on a note in a dedicated screen, I get a message saying that a duplicate version of this note exists. I don't understand why Evernote automatically creates such notes. This is very frustrating.

Why is evernote creating duplicate notes in the first place anyway? Google doc for instance handles much better conflictual changes. I'm thinking of relying on the free Google Doc  version rather than paying for an Evernote subscription that keeps creating de-dup work for me...

• Level 5

It creates duplicates when it detects 2 notes with the same identifier, but different content (not sure how exactly, maybe a hash value).

EN treats the note as entity. Goggle (and others) split a document into many small chunks. There a conflict could only happen when such a chunk is corrupted. It does not spread to the whole document. It is a different concept, build around collaboration.

The duplication problem is one very unhappy issue with EN v10. Hope they get it fixed soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 8 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 2:43 PM, anton.dejesus said:

Evernotes keeps creating duplicate notes on mac when editing a note, any help please?

Same here. I use Mac evernote app, my iphone app, my ipad app, and the web. Every time I make a small edit to a document, it creates a new note instead of syncing it to other devices. Is there no fix for this? This is the sole purpose I bought this product.

I have the same problem. I keep a shopping list that I access on Mac EN v10.41.5, and iOS/iPadOS 10.36. I have no clue which app is creating the duplicate (might be Mac as per the original post), but in any event I expect Evernote to sync all three platforms and I expect the sync process to be smart enough to determine the most current note version and merge as needed. This is really basic. I even went so far as to delete the note form all three platforms and create a new note with a new name. The unproductive problem persists.

I have been having this issue for years and I'm losing patience. Why is this still an issue? If you have Evernote on multiple devices, multiple copies of the same note are created! Apple Notes handles this flawlessly so there is definitely a way to solve this huge issue. I'm giving up hope and about to search for ways to export my years of Evernote to Apple Notes if this isn't resolved timely.

• Like 1