Can't save camera image to note - used to work flawlessly

Lately I can no longer save an image to a note. This functionality is something I use all the time. Create a note - click "Insert" ☞ Camera ☞  hold phone over doc and allow it to "capture" it ☞ hit "Save". "Save" doesn't work and the only way out is to close the app. I can never get back to the note and the image is lost. Like I said, this is a feature I use all the time so hopefully it is being addressed. 

• Like 1

I have the same problem - the save button doesn't work after taking an image on my iPad pro. The cancel button does. A feature I need to use multiple times, daily. I've tried restarting the app, restarting my device, updating Evernote. On iOS 14.5. I'll do a software update on the iPad. 

Tried the preview tap - the save button doesn't work in that screen either.

I have the same issue (Iphone, Ios15.1)  I just updated Evernote and still have the same issue.  After taking some photos I can tap or hold save all I want and it ignores my input.  I can only cancel (and discard images).  I have tried a few of the save as options.

UPDATE: It works if I give app access to Photos.  Why?  It should only need access to camera, and I'm pretty sure I never gave access to photos before unless it's a default change in iOS. Still, why is camera not good enough? Weird, I just changed it back to None out of curiosity and it's still working.

Same issue, still at 14.8.  I use this feature all the time for receipts and general documentation of serial #s etc.  It just quit working out of the blue last week or week before.  Today I did a hard reset and downloaded the latest version, same.  It takes the image, lets you select Saving As preference, but refuses to actually save. Every button and selection works except save. I don't see anything in app settings that would make a difference.  I rely on this so heavily t's getting tedious to work around.

• Level 5

iOS is security oriented, and since iOS 14 you have 3 options, for every app:

• Allow always
  • Allow this time 
  • Disallow

Has nothing to do with EN, this is Apple setting the standard for privacy on devices.

It is the same with access to fotos, the mic, screen recording, the GPS position, you name it. Control is in iOS settings: Go down to the app and decide about what it may do, and what not.

If this was your problem, I think you might follow the Apple release information more closely when updating iOS. There is a ton of good podcasts and YT channels about it as well.

I suppose it could still be an anomaly of iOS, but that's not the type of setting I changed, and technically I didn't change anything permanently. I took a wild guess that for some reason it wanted access to my Photos and changed that access from None to All Photos.  After that worked I thought, that's stupid, I don't want that and I turned access to Photos back to None.  Then out of curiosity I did a power off again and it's still working.

• Level 5

These are iOS settings for the app Evernote. This is all you can allow or disallow, in some cases with steps in between. A few work as well from the respective settings of the apps mentioned, for example you can toggle the same switch from Siri for EN, or from EN for Siri. Both ways result in Siri working (or not) within EN.

The only relevant switch I have found in the EN apps settings inside of the app were to decide whether pictures taken using the EN app should be saved in the Photos app as well. This is not the same as allowing access from EN to the Photos app - one is for writing new pictures into photos, the other is for loading existing pictures into EN notes.

In fact I don’t understand the problem at all: You use a personal app like EN, fully under your control, and discuss if you should allow it access to you personal Fotos app on the same device. Even if technically it needs to be allowed in iOS - are you afraid your left brain decides to steal the pictures from your right brain ? 

But anyhow - when you toggle the permissions in iOS settings, it immediately grants or removes the corresponding privilege to EN. Toggle camera off, open EN, select a tool that needs the camera, and you are not allowed to, informed that you need to switch it on in settings first. Works the same with the other permissions as well. For me there is no issue in this - it is working as iOS allows it to work.

All available permissions and settings for the Evernote app in my iOS settings:

48F4BB39-4983-4348-96F1-95C65FC6D17F.thumb.jpeg.1d29f838f0c976e7bca1cafc1056e491.jpeg

Welp, this seems to be the issue.  Not so much camera access, but photos access.  I gave permission to "selected photos" and picked one photo.  Then I could take photos in EN and save them.  (I could already take photos, just couldn't save them, which is kind of the point).  Now it asks if I would like to save a copy in photo roll as well.  

Problem resolved for me.  Thanks everyone for their help!

It's just wrong. I like EN in general enough to ignore it, but Photos have nothing to do with my use case.  I believe in the most minimal permissions absolutely needed to get the job done.  If I'm not saving the image to Photos in parallel with the note, there's no need for it to have access to my Photos. Ultimately it doesn't need access because I turned it back off and still working.  It's just sloppy and maybe in this example it's harmless, but another example of sloppiness may not be. It's also frustrating that in modern software, not unique to EN, there's no direct support so people are left to figure these things out on their own.  EN chose this platform so they have responsibility to be aware of platform changes and educate customers, and be available for customer questions.

• Level 5

Again - There are 2 different use cases here:

1. Attach a picture that already is on your camera roll to a note
  2. Take a picture with the EN function, have it saved from there to the camera roll

For (1) you need to grant access to Fotos, for (2) you need to grant access to camera and to fotos. In case 1 Fotos are taken from the camera roll and copied into EN. In case 2 Fotos Are taken with the camera and always stored in EN - you just decide whether this is enough, or you want to store the same picture in the camera roll as well.

This can be toggled in EN settings, but in addition it needs access to the camera roll, if it does not already have it.

About setting the access: Personally I think it is no problem on my own device to give a quality app like EN general access to many system resources. But if you like it more restrictive: That’s why there are so many controls - use them.

Which access to grant ? There is enough stuff around to teach you everything you need to know about it. EN has a number of help documents. How to set up your OS - for all apps - you need to check with the OS manufacturer.