Why can’t I delete pages from a pdf on Evernote for iPhone?

I can open a pdf and can even annotate it, however I can’t understand how to delete page 2 from a 6 page pdf? Am I missing something really basic? Not sure if this is an Evernote issue or something related to my iPhone 13. 

1 hour ago, idoc said:

I can open a pdf and can even annotate it, however I can’t understand how to delete page 2 from a 6 page pdf? Am I missing something really basic? Not sure if this is an Evernote issue or something related to my iPhone 13. 

Certainly not related to Evernote. Evernote is not a pdf editor. You would need to open the pdf in an pdf editing app rather than just a viewer.

• Level 5

There is a way to do this on any iOS device:

1. Select the pdf, Open it.
  2. Click on share, Select print
  3. In the dialog box, a miniature view of all pages show. By tapping on a page you can select start with this page, jump this page or stop at this page. Multiple selections are possible.
  4. When done, go to one of the available pages, and pinch outward, as if zooming the page open. A full view of the pages will open, as print preview, only showing the pages that are still selected. 
  5. Select share again, now select EN. Save the modified pdf into a new note, if you want give it a title, select the notebook and tags

Done …

It is not possible to save it back into the same note as before. If you don’t need the full document, and have nothing else in the old note, you can delete it.

• Like 2

Thanks Pink Elephant for your continued outstanding contributions on this forum.  I have learned more about how to use evernote from your posts than from any other source.  Very much appreciated.  By the way, this little trick on how to delete pages from a pdf in ios is not an obvious one.  I googled this topic for over an hour and asked several other people.  Your solution works 100%!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

To remove a page (or several), you can use the iOS function I have described in my post from October 11. I really don’t see a necessity for EN to replicate a function in the app that is already build into iOS. Similar on the Mac, where any pdf can be edited with the MacOS preview app. When closing it in Preview, all changes will be saved back into EN.

Any code not necessary just makes the app bloated and slow. Better to keep the devs working on features not already existing in the OS.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to share another perspective because I really miss this feature (the ability to remove pages from a note or rotate a page).  I scan all my paperwork directly into Evernote.  Sometimes a scan will show a blank page or incorrect rotation.  In the Legacy version of Evernote, it was so quick and easy to correct this within Evernote.  Now, I have to use a workaround that causes more time than the initial scan caused.  It's another irritation and  loss of efficiency.  

On 10/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, Mike P said:

Certainly not related to Evernote. Evernote is not a pdf editor. You would need to open the pdf in an pdf editing app rather than just a viewer.

Yet Evernote used to make it so easy to do this when needed.  It is a feature that was lost with the new version and I really miss it.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

To remove a page (or several), you can use the iOS function I have described in my post from October 11. I really don’t see a necessity for EN to replicate a function in the app that is already build into iOS. Similar on the Mac, where any pdf can be edited with the MacOS preview app. When closing it in Preview, all changes will be saved back into EN.

Any code not necessary just makes the app bloated and slow. Better to keep the devs working on features not already existing in the OS.

I respect your knowledge a lot and your posts have helped me with a few different issues.  I am wondering about your comment about the additional features making the app bloated and slow.  It seems like the Legacy version is so much faster than the new version, even with features that have been removed.  Is that just because it was based on a different software that could handle more features?  (not sure if software is the correct term)

• Level 5

The legacy app was a native app: Code that executed directly on the operation system level. Nice & fast - but the app itself needed to be adapted with every new release of the OS. Plus the code for a Mac could not be used for Windows, and vice versa.

With a major OS release every year, more and more dev hours went into maintenance only.

v10 runs inside of a framework. A framework is basically a browser without a user interface. The app is the user interface, and the logic. The framework handles OS interaction.

Advantages are that you can share code between platforms, and your devs work on functions, the framework provider cares for OS changes. Disadvantage: Your app code drives the framework, that needs to translate the requests for the OS, and for other apps.

An app based on a framework will never execute as fast on the same machine as native code (if written properly) does. This is what anybody can see when directly comparing v10 and legacy. If this is a problem  depends on the type of action, and the length of the lag. What EN does by using Apple Preview is that they make use of this apps abilities (which are amazing), with a seamless integration into the v10 app. They could never build anything close to it themselves.

But the main point is another - which anybody observed who was with EN during the last years of legacy: The app (and probably the company) was stalling, hardly new features, even very slow on fixing bugs. Continuing with legacy was quite obvious no alternative. It would have killed the whole company, by a shrinking user base and rising cost.

If the bet of EN management on the v10 rebuild works out in the end: Nobody knows. But from what I see, I think there is a good chance it will.