Start new notes from within another note - and add the link to it

Sorenzo

Idea

Hi there,

When I´m starting a new project, I usually create a note serving as a table of contents. From here I link to other notes that are going into more detail.

I would like to be able to open a new note from within my table of contents note and directly link to it. Would be really happy to see that, as it would add simplicity and a better overview to evernote.

Thanks a lot

5 replies to this idea

12 minutes ago, Sorenzo said:

When I´m starting a new project, I usually create a note serving as a table of contents. From here I link to other notes that are going into more detail.

I would like to be able to open a new note from within my table of contents note and directly link to it. Would be really happy to see that, as it would add simplicity and a better overview to evernote.

That's a really interesting idea. I work the other way around - create the individual notes then pull them together into a table of contents. My way is currently easier but your workflow is just as legitimate.

I do think the flexibility of the new TOC system makes it very easy to create a table of contents from the notes. Rather then typing the contents into a single note just create notes with just a title which correspond to the desired entries in your TOC. You can do this in any order as ideas come to you. Then select all the notes and copy internal links. Create a new note and paste into a numbered list. You can then drag the items around to give the order you want. You can also change the level usinng tab.

People have also in the past asked for automatic forward and backwards linking between notes and this might help here as well.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you tag your top note with the project name, filter by that tag and then create a new note it will automatically populate it with that tag.

Also dont forget that you can create a new note in a new window (alt-ctrl-N on Windows) without loosing focus of your TOC note in the main window.

17 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That's a really interesting idea. I work the other way around - create the individual notes then pull them together into a table of contents. My way is currently easier but your workflow is just as legitimate.

I do think the flexibility of the new TOC system makes it very easy to create a table of contents from the notes. Rather then typing the contents into a single note just create notes with just a title which correspond to the desired entries in your TOC. You can do this in any order as ideas come to you. Then select all the notes and copy internal links. Create a new note and paste into a numbered list. You can then drag the items around to give the order you want. You can also change the level usinng tab.

People have also in the past asked for automatic forward and backwards linking between notes and this might help here as well.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you tag your top note with the project name, filter by that tag and then create a new note it will automatically populate it with that tag.

Also dont forget that you can create a new note in a new window (alt-ctrl-N on Windows) without loosing focus of your TOC note in the main window.

Hi Mike,

thanks for taking the time to reply to my idea. I see the way you are doing this the other way around. Its a very good way for creating a TOC from the start. But how do you add additional links to your TOC while your projects are in progress? Sure I can open a note, copy the link and paste it. But I was just thinking this could be done more convenient.

Best Regards

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sorenzo said:

But how do you add additional links to your TOC while your projects are in progress? Sure I can open a note, copy the link and paste it. But I was just thinking this could be done more convenient.

I completely agree. There is no easier way. I've been using EN for so long I'm used to doing it the way EN expects you to do it. But as I said, your way is equally logical. I would say that the opening a new note in a new window "trick" does help as you don't loose the TOC from th main view so it makes it easier to copy and paste the link into the TOC.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sorenzo said:

I would like to be able to open a new note from within my table of contents note and directly link to it.

I added my vote to the request   
Not just a ToC, any note.  I use a daily journal note as my planner and add entries throughout the day.  If an entry gets beyond a line, I switch  to a new note

I use the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac, and use scripting (Applescript)   
A script creates the new note and replaces the text in the original note with a link   
Also includes a link to the original note in the new note

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mike P said:

Then select all the notes and copy internal links. Create a new note and paste into a numbered list.

I use the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac and use scripting (Applescript)  
My project notes are linked via a tag (!Project-aaaaaaaaaaa)   
A script collects all the note titles, sorts and organizes into sections, then creates/recreates the ToC note

• Like 1