Resize and Save Image with new Resolution and Filesize (aka Resampling)

anfang

Idea

Current Scenario

Currently, Evernote image resize does not affect the underlying image. E.g. Resizing an image smaller does not affect its filesize nor its resolution.

Expected Scenario

Evernote should allow us to resize and save the image as a way to resample the image.

Benefit of this Feature

Downsized images can help reduce the Note size. User will be able to conserve their upload limits, reduce their mobile operator data charges, save device storage utilization, and have their notes download and render faster.

For example, I had a Note which contained two images - camera captures of a presentation slide. The note was 15MB large. After using Windows Screen Snipping Tool to screen capture and paste back the images, my note was now ~400KB large. This is a reduction 2 orders of magnitude.

Upsized images can remove the inconvenience of using a separate image editor app, allowing users to zoom in and crop out details without causing excessive pixelization.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  While it would be convenient to have some image editing features as a part of the note editor,  what would you include and what would be excluded?  Check out the options available in the free resize/ resampling editor that I use - https://www.xnview.com/en/.  Evernote would have to add dozens of new sub-menus. 

And then   there's  https://www.photopea.com/...

37 minutes ago, gazumped said:

what would you include and what would be excluded

Resize. Just resize.

Because image filesize is very correlated to Note Size, Note Responsiveness, Data Usage, Account Data Limits etc.

Resize is a very basic feature. Especially for notes taken using Camera on a mobile phone, then brought into Desktop.

If we go down the path of questioning every single new feature, we'll end up questioning the practicality and usefulness of various existing features are within Evernote, which may be very useful to you but useless to majority users. Have you ever wondered why Evernote can embed Dropbox documents, link to Calendar, annotate images, import templates, search within PDFs, etc.

The current workflow below is unacceptable:

1. Stop Evernote Desktop midway while taking notes
  2. Take a photo using iOS camera
  3. Crop and Resize and Save the image in iOS default photo editor
  4. Go back to Evernote
  5. Click on Add Image option
  6. Add in Photo Gallery permissions to Evernote for the image
  7. Finally select and import the image
  8. Be able to view Image on Evernote Desktop

Or

2. Click on Add Camera option in Evernote iOS
  3. Take a Photo
  4. Crop it
  5. Go to Evernote Desktop
  6. Use Windows Snipping Tool to take a screen capture of the image
  7. Delete the original image
  8. Paste in the Snipping Tool's image

Versus if Evernote actually has resize functionality

2. Click on Add Camera option in Evernote iOS
  3. Take a Photo
  4. Crop and Resize it
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You may note that most subscribers have no issue with the upload limit

Alright, valid point taken.

The other benefits are still relevant: Mobile Data Usage (e.g. AT&T data plans), Note Render Responsiveness, Android/iOS Device Storage, additional resizing steps in an external app.

I don't want to sync 100MB of images (about a dozen images) when I open a Note. Plus Notes have max size limits (200MB). If I compressed it that's just a couple 15 MBs or so.

• Level 5

All subscriptions have the same maximum note size, 200MB. If you take a regular Handy picture (not a RAW), it will probably have 2MB, up or down. So 100 of them will fit into a note. If you talk 10MB, this is closer to a real cameras output. EN is not build to be a true pictures library, so for the occasional use I think it is up to the job.

The other points are all valid, no problem. And they could easily avoid the Free "trap": Make it a subscription feature 😇 taking the last experience, probably Professional+ - the plan that makes your pictures shrink ... 😈

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

If you take a regular Handy picture (not a RAW), it will probably have 2MB, up or down

I wish it were that light!

I took 1 camera images on my iPhone using the Evernote camera option (Document Color setting), and it made my note 8MB!

image.png.b086ec3ea3794526cf1944100cbbe808.png

That led me to investigate further. Retaking the same image using my iOS camera gave me a mere 3MB.

So Evernote might have a bug somewhere in the camera upload. Or it does a terrible HEIC to JPG(?) conversion.

But you are right in that, if each image was really in the 2-3 MB range, the Note size limit is not an issue that warrants an Image Resize/Resample feature.

• Level 5

Just looked up some photos and scan taken by using the EN camera.

It is not always an issue - sizes are between some hundreds of KB, going up to 8MB as well. I think the compression works pretty well on documents, whereas normal pictures are bloated. The size of such a picture is 4.032 x 2570 pixel. This means 10.362.240 Pixel - a compression to 8.4MB is less than 20%, very inefficient.

To me it seems this should be the most important fix, compressing pictures taken with the EN camera function. 

• Like 1