Recent update caused important notes to disappear.

Hi, so there was a recent forced library update that caused entire notes to disappear. I have some notes that I use as my daily journal and an entire note containing months of journal entries has disappeared. This is very serious for me as that represents a huge portion of my life. Search does not bring the note up on either the web version or the mac desktop version. I'm very concerned. Recently there was some kind of "library update" and ever since then the note is simply gone. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Updates don't remove notes.  Several people have reported 'empty' accounts - which usually means the update is still going on,  or they created a new account in error when logging back in - but if you can see most of your notes but not this particular one,  the only possibility is that it has somehow moved to the Trash notebook. If you still don't see the note there,  raise this with Support for a more in depth look.  

Subscribers can raise support queries here -  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Level 5

Everything that was announced on the database side after upgrading was run locally, not on the server copy.

What might be is that the changes had not synced to the server before updating. No way to tell this now.

If you can locate the note, you can access note history (only open for subscribers ) and see if anything was modified, and set it back. If you can’t locate the note, no access to note history.

I think your best bet is to involve support.

For the future, avoid notes „that contain your life“. Such notes tend to be very long, bad in handling and worse in syncing. Keep notes on the short side, split them up into segments, each segment an individual note. Create a TOC table of content note keeping an overview and maybe in the notes links to navigate from one to another.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Everything that was announced on the database side after upgrading was run locally, not on the server copy.

What might be is that the changes had not synced to the server before updating. No way to tell this now.

If you can locate the note, you can access note history (only open for subscribers ) and see if anything was modified, and set it back. If you can’t locate the note, no access to note history.

I think your best bet is to involve support.

For the future, avoid notes „that contain your life“. Such notes tend to be very long, bad in handling and worse in syncing. Keep notes on the short side, split them up into segments, each segment an individual note. Create a TOC table of content note keeping an overview and maybe in the notes links to navigate from one to another.

What I don't understand is, that note has been there for months. So even if a recent edit wasn't updated, why is the entire note gone?

On 9/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Yeah what I'm saying is I can't locate the note at all. It seems to simply be "gone".