Split the 'New' button for Notes and Tasks instead of dropdown

talktoacomputer

Idea

The '+ New' button in the Evernote desktop app (mobile even) can be split into two, either horizontally or vertically, instead of having the dropdown because it creates the need for extra clicks to create a new note. I personally prefer having a single-click function to create a new note. I don't really use tasks so far. Whenever I click on '+ New' button, it opens up two more buttons which are 'Note' and 'Task' and then I have to click on 'Note' again to actually create a note.

This feels unnecessary with only two options, especially. I liked it when you clicked on '+ New' and a note automatically opened up for you to start typing immediately. Why not have two visible buttons from the begin itself? Or, if it's for the different templates, at least start with a default note template and then we have the option to change the type of note later. This is for when there are more options in the future (if ever).

image.png.a2f01b80f47b53a4816dab0c88a043ba.png image.png.cfc150434886da47313600d483d995ad.png

Not really sure if this has already been discussed here.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

On 9/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, talktoacomputer said:

The '+ New' button in the Evernote desktop app (mobile even) can be split into two, either horizontally or vertically, instead of having the dropdown because it creates the need for extra clicks to create a new note. I personally prefer having a single-click function to create a new note. I don't really use tasks so far. Whenever I click on '+ New' button, it opens up two more buttons which are 'Note' and 'Task' and then I have to click on 'Note' again to actually create a note.

This feels unnecessary with only two options, especially. I liked it when you clicked on '+ New' and a note automatically opened up for you to start typing immediately. Why not have two visible buttons from the begin itself? Or, if it's for the different templates, at least start with a default note template and then we have the option to change the type of note later. This is for when there are more options in the future (if ever).

image.png.a2f01b80f47b53a4816dab0c88a043ba.png image.png.cfc150434886da47313600d483d995ad.png

Not really sure if this has already been discussed here.

The other alternative is to use the new note shortcut ctrl+N

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is not a double click, seen from a UI view. It is a first click for „New …“, and then a second one for „New note …“ or „New task …“. Just because the „New note …“ button is right below the „New …“ button a double click does the same. You can stop as well after just one click, and continue with a different action.

If EN would show both buttons right away, the „New“ function would require double the space of now. And if you want Tasks or not, it is now part of the package, and other users like it and use it. In many programs I use many (probably far above 50%) of all menu and UI items could be removed, just taking MY personal needs and us cases into account. But this is not the way how things work, case you haven’t yet noticed.

If you don’t like the two click / double click solution, there is ctrl/cmd-N As well, or the use of the main menu.

EN's mentality always seems to be a change to fundamental behaviour with no flexibility.

For this example the New button has a "+" and a down arrow icon. To me this says "Add New" or "Select from a list".  But there appears to be no difference. So why have them?

The alternative is to set your default "new" action as a one-click action, e.g. New = New Note. If you want another New item, click on the down arrow - the universal sign for unroll options list. I have the option to one-click or two-click to create the new item. Right now it is all two-click.

I create a lot more Notes than Tasks. And I usually create Tasks in a dedicated Note.