Filters Applied to Notebook - Incorrect and Inconsistent Results

2 methods, one works, one doesn't.  Using 10.19.2 but have seen this before and failed to report it

1. Select a Notebook.  Using the upper right Filter controls apply a filter such as a Tag or Date filter, I see maybe 5 or 6 results returned

2. Select same Notebook chosen above.  Click into Search.  Click Add Filter.  This has added the Notebook specifically to the search.  Click Filter on the support right and add a Filter of choice. Using this method I see 54 notes, the correct amount.

I am as near to certain as I can be that method 1 was working at least better.  I believe I tried it a few releases back noticed the issue, got distracted.. failed to raise it.  Today I needed to search and found the issue again.

I also note that depending on the Notebook, the difference in search results varies.

It's more than a bit concerning; I have an expectation for search to be on point :( 

14 hours ago, danio72 said:

2 methods, one works, one doesn't.  Using 10.19.2 but have seen this before and failed to report it

1. Select a Notebook.  Using the upper right Filter controls apply a filter such as a Tag or Date filter, I see maybe 5 or 6 results returned

2. Select same Notebook chosen above.  Click into Search.  Click Add Filter.  This has added the Notebook specifically to the search.  Click Filter on the support right and add a Filter of choice. Using this method I see 54 notes, the correct amount.

I am as near to certain as I can be that method 1 was working at least better.  I believe I tried it a few releases back noticed the issue, got distracted.. failed to raise it.  Today I needed to search and found the issue again.

I also note that depending on the Notebook, the difference in search results varies.

It's more than a bit concerning; I have an expectation for search to be on point :( 

I can repeat this behaviour. In my case any sort of filtering, unless I have searched first, maxes out at 128 results. So clicking on a tag in the sidebar which is attached to 615 notes gives me 128 hits.  If I apply the notebook filter from the search bar I get the correct result:

image.png.0cce9c42c4bc02e8e17dda6094da5e15.png

If I use the notebook filter in the filter I get only 128 results

image.png.58bb9ce048eedd582d5b3e7870ee61fc.png

I hope this is a bug and not EN trying to be clever about which notes it returns!

On 8/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, Mike P said:

I can repeat this behaviour. In my case any sort of filtering, unless I have searched first, maxes out at 128 results. So clicking on a tag in the sidebar which is attached to 615 notes gives me 128 hits.  If I apply the notebook filter from the search bar I get the correct result:

image.png.0cce9c42c4bc02e8e17dda6094da5e15.png

If I use the notebook filter in the filter I get only 128 results

image.png.58bb9ce048eedd582d5b3e7870ee61fc.png

I hope this is a bug and not EN trying to be clever about which notes it returns!

It seems EN finally tries to save some memory by using signed 8 bit values  😉

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

It seems EN finally tries to save some memory by using signed 8 bit values  😉

Yes it hadn't escaped my notice that it was 2^7! The good news is that if you then apply another filter it seems to filter on all the results of the first filter not just on the 128 results displayed. If you get all notes by searching for * you can then filter and get all the expected results (ie over 128) which to my mind is illogical.

I have a support ticket out on this but so far no meaningful response.