handling sync errors is somehow actually worse than Old Evernote

egypturnash

Idea

Today I edited a note in whatever the hell the latest version of iOS Evernote is and it managed to create a sync error. All this time and effort and hassle to make a shittier version of Evernote and the experience for that is still the absolute most barebones version possible. Less so, even - now I have two notes in the database with no indication of which one is which except for one having a creation date of today. At least you used to put a "sync error" banner in one note's text. Now you don't even do that once I've dismissed this. And the only way to fix it is still to open it up on the old Mac client and open up both notes in windows, then scroll them in sync and visually look for differences. Wonderful. Thanks, guys. God I really need to make some time to decide which of the other possibilities out there I hate the least and switch off of this slow-ass pile of sunk cost fallacy.

abefcb232f96c396.jpeg.e10106457e1ba953f7ab8e4a06c2438a.jpeg

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

A sync error means EN can’t decide which version of a note is the correct one. You mean they should flag one being the sync error - if the system could, there would not be a sync error.

EN treats the note as an entity - it detects the sync error when a note is synced to the server from 2 clients at the same time. It does NOT compare it character by character to find differences. 

What you describe to find differences is the simple solution for a short note. If it is longer, open a word processor and copy each note into a file. Use the word processors compare function to flag differences.

There are ways to provoke sync errors, like opening a note on 2 devices simultaneously. Can happen to a single user, or with a shared note. Personally I did not have a single sync error in months of daily use, mainly on iOS and Mac clients.

Maybe think about what you did when it happened to avoid running into sync errors in the future. When in doubt, involve support, best with an activity log.

Imagine a world where instead of "upgrading" to a version of Evernote that is much more sluggish to launch and update, instead they'd actually kept the old codebase and spent some time improving the Conflicting Changes experience beyond "open it in two windows" or "cut and paste into an entirely different program". Imagine if instead of a little banner that was a banner with a button that said "Resolve Changes" that took me to some kind of view that helped me quickly find the differences between two versions of a long note, and decide which ones to use. Wouldn't that be nice? 

Instead, we have New Evernote, and the Home Screen!

• Level 5

A bug fix on syncing I would appreciate - my issue is not note conflicts. From time to time clients (in my case the Mac client) don’t downsync changes from the server, it may take several minutes (up to an hour) until a note may appear. A nuisance, like the missing sync button formthe desktop.

A function to sort out sync conflicts IMHO is purely „nice to have“. As I said I practically never have note conflicts.

And yes, we have Home and now Tasks, and that is more within less than a year than we‘ve gotten before in years.