New key section: Contacts

Roel Vanhooydonck

Idea

I really miss a “Hello” functionality. I have multiple devices where contact information is stored. iOS, Android and Windows. I want Evernote to be the place to retrieve the information  of that contacts. Not by a template I now use but as a vital csv element within Evernote. And as a second brain it makes sense that persons are part of your brain. Maybe you can also link to those persons within your notes. When you search for the name or beneath the contact information in the new to build section.

Anyone that feel this the same?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Personally I don’t think bloating the software is a good idea. A good contact management is heavy on live interfaces (most solutions rely on a one time import / export, which would not do the job), and typically enriched by functions found in a CRM, mail system or similar. The interaction between stored contacts and my use of EN would be very weak - the notes don’t get better when the contacts reside beside it.

Personally I use the Apple Contacts app, that serves as the underlying platform for my different apps that need contact information. Who needs something that works on different OSes can use several Open Source solutions.

Maybe you could elaborate a little how having contacts integrated in EN would enable new use cases, or significantly improve existing ones.

I was thinking this the other day too. If Evernote is looking towards getting stuff done some form on contact integration would be deeply beneficial. I’m aware Apple is adding a tagging feature inline on notes and something along those lines would be really handy. I would love it if we could tag someone inline, say in a task and it would then notify them asking if they accept that task etc. I know we can currently share notes but it’s not exactly intuitive, inline contact tagging would be something I would find really useful (after I convince my teams to adopt Evernote lol).

• Like 1

Hi @PinkElephant, good question and addition to my topic. 

I am currently building a CRM system. I now have my template ready, this does not (yet) comply with a standard CSV format, but I would like to. For EN you can imagine that there can be 3 templates. Family, Friends and Business. These should be marked as @tag related in AND and also contain associated notes in the Contact section I suggest. Evernote has of course been around for a while so I don't think notes before 1-1-2021 should participate. Or be marked on a personal basis with a suggestion screen.

At this moment I manually take over everything from the contact app. Because you of course have different import options from Android, Windows and Apple, I would make additions easy with a 1-to-1 import option so that you can control this yourself. Of course you could have a thousand contacts, you will probably have a small circle that you find important. Then start with that personally. From there you can link EN yourself better and better and enable you to link this to a person if you are looking for one. Other toolings don't have this as far as I know.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, PinkElephant said:

Personally I don’t think bloating the software is a good idea. A good contact management is heavy on live interfaces (most solutions rely on a one time import / export, which would not do the job), and typically enriched by functions found in a CRM, mail system or similar. The interaction between stored contacts and my use of EN would be very weak - the notes don’t get better when the contacts reside beside it.

Personally I use the Apple Contacts app, that serves as the underlying platform for my different apps that need contact information. Who needs something that works on different OSes can use several Open Source solutions.

Maybe you could elaborate a little how having contacts integrated in EN would enable new use cases, or significantly improve existing ones.

• Thanks 1