Option to Keep the Evernote Helper in Menu Bar (Permanently)

AliBali

Idea

Previously, the elephant icon in the menu bar would stay permanently in the menu bar even after quitting the app. This was incredibly useful, because the helper could be used as an extremely accessible to-do list throughout the day, as well as a tool to quickly save links and ideas for later without having to open the entire app (which is much slower).

With version 10, whenever I quit the Evernote app, the helper disappears with it, rendering the function pretty much useless. This also doesn't work on the legacy version Overall, this has taken away one of the few main uses I have for Evernote. Would really like the permanent helper icon back, without needing to open the app!!

• Like 1

11 replies to this idea

This is an absolutely critical feature. Lack of the persistent helper is one of the reasons I am still using Legacy (that and the general lack of speed of EN 10 on the Mac).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Any problem to simply start EN v10 with the computer, and let it run in the background ?

That's what I did for a couple of weeks, but leaving the app open just to use the helper uses a lot more memory than I'd prefer, and given my computer's age and my usage of other apps, it was a little less than ideal. I've since installed a small menubar app to use instead. Thanks though!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since I use EN a lot while on my Mac (often only briefly), it makes sense for me to keep it open.

An alternative could be to install the legacy client. It has an option to keep the helper in the menu bar even when not using the app.

But it means another app, and it will make a full local download of your EN database.

• Like 1