(Archived) Newbie: can't get my head around how to use Evernote!

I'm just not getting it!

I've seen the videos and read a lot of text - but still can't figure out Evernote!

How do I capture a webpage?

I want it to be the original as I see it - so it will be unchanged when I look back in 5 years say

OK, so I can install a browser extension

Let's say I don't want to do this - how can I do otherwise??

The interface on the Evernote website doesn't give me anyway of doing this

How do I add a picture in my notes?

How do I add make notes, add an image below and then make further notes below?

The editor on Evernote website seems very very simple and not good for formatting in anyway

Thanks!

OM

thanks for the reply

done both and am still clueless :)

- tried out - spent a lot of time

- read through forums - nothing directly relevant

- tried again - still now joy

maybe i'm just being dumb :(

a link in the direction if the answer is easy would be appreciated

thanks

How do I capture a webpage?

I want it to be the original as I see it - so it will be unchanged when I look back in 5 years say

Keywords: Chrome clipper

OK, so I can install a browser extension

Let's say I don't want to do this - how can I do otherwise??

I don't know. This is rather like asking someone to accommodate your wishes on your terms. That's fine if you're paying them to do your bidding. Fly your jet & all that.

How do I add a picture in my notes?

Seriously, you've read the boards & played with the software & can't figure this out?

Copy/paste, merge notes, etc.

Keywords: Chrome clipper

yes, i figured that out - but what if somewhere other than my own machine??

do u expect me to install a browser addon? :)

I don't know. This is rather like asking someone to accommodate your wishes on your terms. That's fine if you're paying them to do your bidding. Fly your jet & all that.

i'll get someone to fly my jet when i get rich enough

for now, i'll be flying my on stealth bomber

i found out about evernote from tim ferris's book, 4 hour week

in it he mentioned that u could use evernote to take a snapshot of a webpage in its original and unchanged form

at the time of writing of his book (newer version), i'm not sure chrome was not around - or at least i would guess that the evernote chrome extension was around

me being me, i was intrigued to know how it was done just by using the web and NOT having to rely on a browser addon

Seriously, you've read the boards & played with the software & can't figure this out?

Copy/paste, merge notes, etc.

yes: i'm being serious

i did another search and can't find anything referring to inserting images using the web interface

copy/paste, merge notes????? the web editor is very basic, not having many more options than the ability to make text bold and underline

thanks for the replies all the same - i'm still clueless :(

i did another search and can't find anything referring to inserting images using the web interface

copy/paste, merge notes????? the web editor is very basic, not having many more options than the ability to make text bold and underline

thanks for the replies all the same - i'm still clueless :)

Ok, yes, the web client is, um, nice & good to know it exists. But not the best. Time to prepare Mr. Fries' dinner so will post a more detailed response later. However, I would suggest you use the Mac/Windows client b/c they are more robust than the web client.

thank u :)

that would be much appreciated

However, I would suggest you use the Mac/Windows client b/c they are more robust than the web client

aaah... ok... so that's maybe where i'm going wrong

after trying the first time - i was ready to give up - i thought evernote really sucked!

then i hear people raving about it - and i keep coming back to see what i'm missing - each and every time, i get this rubbish web interface where u can't actually do anything apart from write a basic note literally!

Sorry for the delay. Family issue.

IMO, the Evernote Chrome clipper is the best at preserving a web page in EN in all it's glory. If you're using a computer other than your own, the best I can offer is to email the url to yourself & Chrome clip it later, on your own computer. (Sorry...)

for now, i'll be flying my on stealth bomber

Impressed! If I help you, can I bum a ride sometime? :)

i found out about evernote from tim ferris's book, 4 hour week

in it he mentioned that u could use evernote to take a snapshot of a webpage in its original and unchanged form

at the time of writing of his book (newer version), i'm not sure chrome was not around - or at least i would guess that the evernote chrome extension was around

me being me, i was intrigued to know how it was done just by using the web and NOT having to rely on a browser addon

I can't address that b/c the closest I've come to preserving web pages is the Chrome extension. Hopefully, someone else can chime in here. I have been to Tim's site more than a few times. For some reason, it just doesn't "stick" with me. Seems like each time I go there, the current posts are not helpful to me.

Regarding copy/paste images... As I mentioned earlier, the desktop versions are much more robust than the web client. The web client is nice to have in case you're using someone else's computer and/or your computer takes a dive. I actually have a disaster recovery plan on Evernote in the event such a thing would happen. As long as I have access to the disaster recovery notes on the web client, it gives me a place to start with a new computer/hard drive/etc. (To be totally honest, I also have disaster recovery info on my Jungle Disk/Amazon S3 backup... no disrespect to either product but I like the notion of having my disaster recovery plan in more than one place. :) )

But back to copy/paste... the Windows desktop (not sure if you're Win/Mac/bi) allows you to paste into your notes.

Another nifty feature is the screen cap. I probably use this tens of times each day. IE, when debugging a problem for work, I'll often take screen caps of what I'm checking. This way, in case, the current "problem of the moment" gets surpassed with another "problem of the moment" (happens often - not always work related), I can return to the first problem of the moment & know exactly where I left off.

Hope I've addressed all your concerns.

OM2, Evernote will not exactly preserve a web page. It will alter the contents to fit in the Evernote storage format.

It will however, preserve the text and the important parts, and the Chrome plugin comes closest to the original look.

If you were a web designer and needed the web design import to be perfect, you'd need a more complex solution, like printing to pdf and importing the pdf to evernote.

the javascript bookmarklet should work on any pc, whether home or at work.

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php

Why not play around with it?

It also possible the mac version makes it easier to store a PDF in Evernote, but I'm not sure...

If I ever need to capture a web page *exactly* as displayed I use the screen capture tool (part of the desktop app - I don't think there's a way to use this without downloading the app), as it essentially takes a picture of the screen; if I need the links too I'll just make two copies, one a screen capture & one a straightforward web clip. Not ideal, but then I think most possible methods of capturing a website are slightly imperfect in one respect or another. On the whole, the format that the webclipper captures pages in is pretty good for most purposes, it now preserves most of the formatting/layout, and it's always been good at capturing the content. Most webpages I clip are done using either the Chrome Clipper or the Clipper that comes with the desktop app, and they generally come out exactly as I need them - I now have a very handy library of most of the useful or interesting web pages I've come across in the past couple of years, which are all captured along with a link to the site in case I want to check the site for updates or more information.

I can definitely recommend using the desktop app where possible, the web interface is fine but just not quite up to the same level as the desktop app for any serious note editing etc. However, you can definitely do a simple copy & paste to insert an image in a note and continue typing below (I assume the problem you were having was that you tried to use "attach file" to add an image, which won't give you any control over where the image is inserted; copy & paste will allow you to put it wherever you like).

As Shimra said, the bookmarklet is pretty useful when you aren't using your own computer - other people are less likely to object to you essentially just adding a bookmark than they are to installing a browser extension (although I realise this might not always be possible - when I've been in that situation in the past I've just used a simple copy & paste to a new note in the web app, or I do what BurgersNFries suggested, emailing myself a link and clipping it properly later).

Archived