Installable PWA, please

RevDevPaulReynolds

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're posting in the Web client forum - aren't all web pages visible in Chrome? 

In the Chrome web browser it's possible to 'cheat' with Evernote too - open the web page,  choose Settings > More Tools > Create a shortcut,  and tick the "open as window" option to have a separate web page and a shortcut on the desktop.

Apologies if that is no help - maybe a screenshot to show what space you have?

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  You're posting in the Web client forum - aren't all web pages visible in Chrome? 

In the Chrome web browser it's possible to 'cheat' with Evernote too - open the web page,  choose Settings > More Tools > Create a shortcut,  and tick the "open as window" option to have a separate web page and a shortcut on the desktop.

Apologies if that is no help - maybe a screenshot to show what space you have?

Here's what the separate window looks like on a Chromebook. Note the extra space taken at the top of the screen. It doesn't do this on Windows, but Chromebooks get bonus stuff in the way!

Screenshot 2021-06-09 9.29.32 PM.png

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  That's actually what I get from the website on my Windows computer...  (EN 6.25 installed,  10.14 on the web)

This is the Web Home page - 

682757744_ScreenClip1.thumb.png.cc4bc6788199d3422f971eb423b65ccb.png

And if I click on Notes - 

ScreenClip.thumb.png.144d956b58980bf21f95fdb0b69d3640.png

(My version of the Home Page got messed up because it's no longer possible to link from an image!)

• Level 5*

Ahh.  I see.  I'm not sure Evernote Web is much better on Windows - I just clipped the actual display area,  not the whole browser window.  Currently I'm on Linux so direct comparisons not possible - I'll circle back to Windows a bit later and re-do the clip.  I did find that trick in Chrome that opens web pages in their own stripped-down window.  If it works on your system,  that might give you a slightly bigger area of usable screen..

I appreciate the help! I am using the option to open it in its own window, and alas, while it does make it so I can Alt+Tab to it, it doesn't really increase the display area. I was hoping that there's a possibility that making the web app an installable PWA will not only make it graphically more effective, but might also bring some offline functionality, or at least giving us the ability to stay logged in.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

OK - exited Linux town,  back on Windows (and my head's only spinning a little...)

This is my full Web experience,  so I think the honours are about even.  My browser adds as much space as yours.  (F11 does do an interesting 'full screen' thing though,  that might help,  plus you can zoon in and out...)

ScreenClip.thumb.png.db2b353b1d3381a165805526d11807ba.png

This,  however is the same page in its own window - which loses the browser toolbars.  (I'm using Sidekick here which is a version of Chrome)

64226267_ScreenClip1.thumb.png.04806b222bead236c2fbb84a1361754c.png

And,  as you say... it's handy to tab from somewhere to here sometimes.  ☺️

• Thanks 1

Well, @gazumped I figured out a way to make it look better. If I make the shortcut link to the generic evernote.com address, any time I navigate off of there including to log in to my account, it adds that chunky bar. If I wait till I'm logged in before I make the shortcut link, it looks much better. Thanks for spurring me on to keep trying!image.thumb.png.2d982854b140c30f374deed6e95cba65.png 

• Like 1