Update - Won't. Gives error: Requires Windows 7 or above.

For the past several months, My Evernote on Windows 10 automatic update won't update when I choose to. 

The Update returns an error box stating, "Requires Windows 7 or above."

It's like the Update program can't figure out which version of Windows is running.

I can get it updated, but I have to download the latest executable from Evernote.com, then re-install.

What do I do to fix this obvious bug?

I have had this error for months. I have tried to search this Forum for a solution, but the Search function is a joke. My Search for "Requires Windows 7 or above." returns hundreds of pages of results, with most of the posts containing only 1 or 2 of the words.Thanks,

John L

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're a subscriber,  so have access to Support (which we're not - mainly users here...) you could check with them. However I believe v10 has been set up to auto-update as and when a new version becomes available,  so you may already have the latest  version that you're also downloading from the web site.  Have you been noticing that your version 'sticks' at a particular level unless you do a manual update? 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Hi Gazumped

For my Windows install, it periodically looks for the latest update.

When it finds one, I get the option to Update or Cancel.

When I choose Update, after a minute or so, Evernote shows me the error box claiming that the Update requires Windows 7 or Later.

The Update process is halted. It never even gets started. It's like, "Phhht! Need Windows 7 or Above. We're Out-o-here!"

I currently have 10.10.5 installed. The latest version offered is 10.14.6, so there was no update in the background.

I know how to get around this annoying issue. I'd rather just use the single Update button to get the job done instead of having to find and download, then run a new install.

I'll contact Support and see what they can do.

\Thanks,

John L

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  I won't second-guess Support,  but you might like to make sure you're synced up to date and then do a full uninstall / restart / reinstall to make sure all the support files for the app are present and correct...