Evernote 10, Clipper and Gmail - Must use "Simplify & Make Editable"

Hi all,

I'm enjoying learning Evernote 10, which has improved dramatically over the past 3 months. However, I'm struggling with the Clipper for email messages (using Gmail). For every message, it looks like a web clip and not an email. This means that attachments must be downloaded, rather than opening up in-line in Evernote (e.g. PDF), or opening up with one double-click (e.g. Word documents).  This is solved by clicking "Simplify & Make Editable".

Is there any way to default all Gmail messages clipped using the Clipper to be "Simplified"?  It's annoying to have to change the message every time.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, EricBen said:

However, I'm struggling with the Clipper for email messages (using Gmail). For every message, it looks like a web clip and not an email.

When you clip a gmail message, unlike a normal web page,  you don't get any options (e.g simplify) at this stage. So you are clipping html and there is nothing you can do about it.

The other way of getting emails in to EN, for premium members like yourself, is to email it to your special evernote email address. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347-Save-emails-into-Evernote

If it's a complcated email it will appear as html so that doesn't help. If it's a simple email (ie just text and the attachment) it will appear in EN as the text and a clickable attachment. For more complicated emails you can forward it in plain text mode and that will strip out all the html. It's possible it will also strip out the attachment - I don't have a suitable email to try it on.

image.png.b4b690f53beb1e550930337951be292c.png

51 minutes ago, Mike P said:

When you clip a gmail message, unlike a normal web page,  you don't get any options (e.g simplify) at this stage. So you are clipping html and there is nothing you can do about it.

The other way of getting emails in to EN, for premium members like yourself, is to email it to your special evernote email address. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347-Save-emails-into-Evernote

If it's a complcated email it will appear as html so that doesn't help. If it's a simple email (ie just text and the attachment) it will appear in EN as the text and a clickable attachment. For more complicated emails you can forward it in plain text mode and that will strip out all the html. It's possible it will also strip out the attachment - I don't have a suitable email to try it on.

image.png.b4b690f53beb1e550930337951be292c.png

Thanks, but why was this never an issue in Evernote versions before 10?  It seemed to work fine in previous versions, and in the Legacy version.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EricBen said:

Thanks, but why was this never an issue in Evernote versions before 10?  It seemed to work fine in previous versions, and in the Legacy version.

The whole concept of putting web content in an html box is new with V10. As web pages became more and more complex it became harder and harder to force them in to EN format. EN's solution is to leave it as html and only convert it if you want to actually work on the text. This works well if you only want to read it but means you need to convert it even if you only want to highlight the text. I wasn't aware of the "gmails with attachments" issue.

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

I think that this must be a more complex issue than it at first appears.

I just used the Gmail integration to put an Email into my EN account. It appeared perfectly. Likewise sending to my Evernote Email address also works as you would expect. Using the Evernote web clipper certainly does have the experience you describe.

Assuming you are working in a web browser to view Gmail, I would suggest you install the Gmail integration add-on and make your clipping by this means rather the Evernote web clipper. Complex text will still end up in an HTML block in the resulting note but attachments will, I think, appear inline and accessible.

https://evernote.com/integrations/gmail

• Like 1