Restore from Evernote Local Data Folder Backup -- Possible in v10.x?

In Evernote v10.x (Mac/Windows), there is an  Evernote "data" folder stored locally. The location and structure is different from previous versions of EN.
You can find that data folder here:

• Windows: C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
  • Mac: /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

On my Mac...The noted data folder size is 18GB.

My question is...can that local data folder be used to create an emergency EN data backup that you can restore from? 

If so, can you just replace the active local data folder with a backup version of that folder?  What about restoring a single note...possible?

Or, is the data folder just used to cache files and allow for the EN desktop app to run like a web-based app?

Anyone try this or have knowledge on whether you can do this?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

This local folder is used for offline access    
Reloading it can be used to restore notes,    
but be aware the master version of our data is stored on the servers and will not be impacted by the reload   
To restore a note it must be copied to a new note

Thanks @DTLow,

So yes, in a way, you can use a backup of the local EN data folder to restore a file(s), but it would be painstakingly slow to restore a large amount of Notes using the 'copying to a new note' method. Correct?

Based on your reply, do you need to stay in offline "mode", restore a note by copying to a new note, and then come back online?

If so, once back online and the sync processes occurs, what happens to the remaining notes in the replaced (previous copy) local data folder? Overwritten from the master server of the data based on date/time?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, iPadExpertDave said:

painstakingly slow to restore a large amount of Notes using the 'copying to a new note' method. Correct?

Not necessarily slow
For example, to restore a deleted notebook:   Select > Export > Import

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, iPadExpertDave said:

Right...would you need to stay offline for either the 'copy and paste' or 'export/import' methods?

It should work the same either offline or online
Of course, you need to go online to sync the changes to the server

>>once back online and the sync processes occurs, what happens to the remaining notes in the replaced (previous copy) local data folder? Overwritten from the master server of the data based on date/time?

I think so - I haven't tested this

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, iPadExpertDave said:

DTLow: Just curious, have you tried this process of restoring from a backup version of the local data folder?

Yes, but it's not my preferred backup method   
I do have data folder backups via Mac Time Machine

My preferred backup method is using the Export feature in html format; daily incremental and weekly full

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, DTLow said:

My preferred backup method is using the Export feature in html format; daily incremental and weekly full

Do you mind sharing how you go about doing these daily incremental and weekly full backups? Is there some automated process you use? 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, buckerine said:

Do you mind sharing how you go about doing these daily incremental and weekly full backups? Is there some automated process you use? 

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac    
Note the search parameters for an incremental backup (updated:day-1 -updated:day)

My automation tool is AppleScript and the built in OS scheduler

The script code is simple

tell application "Evernote"

set fileBackuphtml to "/Users/DTLow/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote_Backup/-Current"

set fileBackuphtml to POSIX path of fileBackuphtml

set theNotes to find notes                                                            -- Weekly Full
    set theNotes to find notes ("updated:day-1 -updated:day")    -- Daily Incremental

with timeout of (90 * 60) seconds

export theNotes to fileBackuphtml format HTML with tags
     end timeout
end tell

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac    
Note the search parameters for an incremental backup (updated:day-1 -updated:day)

My automation tool is AppleScript and the built in OS scheduler

The script code is simple

tell application "Evernote"

set fileBackuphtml to "/Users/DTLow/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote_Backup/-Current"

set fileBackuphtml to POSIX path of fileBackuphtml

set theNotes to find notes                                                            -- Weekly Full
    set theNotes to find notes ("updated:day-1 -updated:day")    -- Daily Incremental

with timeout of (90 * 60) seconds

export theNotes to fileBackuphtml format HTML with tags
     end timeout
end tell

Outstanding. Thank you!