"Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote."

Every now and then, I get this error message. Of course, clicking "OK" does nothing. Clicking "Cancel" does nothing. it just pops up again and again and again until the computer kernel panics and restarts. This never happened before I "upgraded" to Big Sur (in quotes because Big Sur is terrible). It often, but not always, happens while I am using Affinity Publisher. It never happens when Evernote is the active app; only when I using something else (Evernote is always open on my computer).

And before anybody asks, yes I contacted Apple about this. I did hardware diagnostics with them. That found no problems. I re-installed Big Sur. This failed to alleviate the problem. After that, I erased the entire HD, re-installed Big Sir, and restored all my files. Then I found and deleted all old and unused system extensions. This failed to solve the problem.

This only started after the Big Sur upgrade and it always involves Evernote so it's probably not a hardware problem.

• Like 2

This is happening to me too over the last couple of days!

Have uninstalled and reinstalled, but continues to happen within a minute or two of opening EN. Continual pop ups until I force quit.

Unlike AKB_MTL I am still on Catalina OS (10.15.7) and the error occurs even if EN is the active app. It also happens EVERY TIME I open EN, so it has become unusable.

I've had to resort to the legacy version. Please help!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Running EN on MacBook Pro with BigSur 11.2.3. No issues.

About Affinity Publisher: I really like the program, but it has a certain tendency to crash. I had to get support from Serif because you can do legit settings for example in a master page, and it will crash Publisher. Maybe it took something down with it.

When I ran into EN problems on the Mac in the past, I did this:

• Uninstall the app using the app AppCleaner app, making sure I checked every little piece of program and data to be purged in the selection window. AppCleaner by default tries to keeps the app data, but this can cause new problems after reinstalling.
  • Restart the Mac
  • Reinstall the app, using the direct download from the EN web site
  • After login in for the first time, wait until the initial download of data has taken place before using EN

Maybe not all of this is necessary, but it always (which was not often) helped me out.

P.S. And I like BigSur, I had my problems before with Catalina.

Thanks for the replies.

Noticed that Evernote 10.12.5 was available today. Tried to download it but the app kept crashing before download could complete, so I uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled. This seems to have resolved the issue (touch wood).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:53 AM, Mevad said:

This is happening to me too over the last couple of days!

Have uninstalled and reinstalled, but continues to happen within a minute or two of opening EN. Continual pop ups until I force quit.

Unlike AKB_MTL I am still on Catalina OS (10.15.7) and the error occurs even if EN is the active app. It also happens EVERY TIME I open EN, so it has become unusable.

I've had to resort to the legacy version. Please help!

Same problem as Mevad. I am on the same version of OS as well. I have been forced  to go back and use the legacy app.

19 hours ago, dakeeper said:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/

Well dakeeper - i'd give you a big 'ol kiss if I could! you fixed it and I am beyond happy. Thanks so much!  I hope you have an amazing weekend!🤩

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, dakeeper said:

this worked for me.... 

In the effort of isolating this issue, please rebuild your Evernote app by following the instructions below:

1. Open Finder
  2. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go. If you don't find this directory, try ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and press Go
  4. Delete the folder Evernote
  5. Launch Evernote and sign in.

Worked for me as well, thanks.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:51 PM, dakeeper said:

this worked for me.... 

In the effort of isolating this issue, please rebuild your Evernote app by following the instructions below:

1. Open Finder
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go. If you don't find this directory, try ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and press Go

This also seems to have worked for me -- tried reinstalling multiple times etc. but was just stuck in a looping "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote" death spiral. Thanks dakeeper! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, dakeeper said:

this worked for me.... 

1. Open Finder

This TOTALLY worked! Thank you DAKEEPER!