Microsoft Store Evernote app vs. Evernote for Windows Desktop v10.9.10 (as of 2021-03-13)

2021-03-13

Currently, I'm running the latest Evernote v10.9.10 desktop software on my Microsoft Windows 10 (x64) computer. I downloaded the installer file 'Evernote-10.9.10-win-ddl-ga-2439-setup.exe' directly from Evernote's website.

My question is this: Is the Microsoft Store app version of Evernote essentially the same as the desktop program or are there feature/performance differences? I'd prefer to get some feedback from other users first before testing this out for myself. Thanks in advance.

(In the past, the Evernote desktop program was different from the Windows Store app version.)

• 3 weeks later...

2021-03-31 Follow-up to 2021-03-13 Post

I'm a bit surprised not to see any comments about this question after several weeks, but for anyone interested, the Evernote software from the Microsoft Store (for Windows 10) is the same version as what's available directly from Evernote's website. However, updates occur through the Microsoft Store's 'Downloads and Updates' and not by other means. Perhaps there are other distinctions, but I am unaware of what they might be.

In my case, I uninstalled Evernote v10.9.10 (as noted in my initial post, above) via the Windows Control Panel. I then re-installed it via the Microsoft Store. In between these two steps, I installed Evernote Legacy 6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954), via download from Evernote's website.

Since then, Evernote v10.9.10 has been updated to v10.10.5. The 'About Evernote' dialog box now indicates: 10.10.5-win-winstore-public (83), Editor: v120.1.15587, Service: v1.31.4

As a result of these actions, I can run side-by-side, both versions (Legacy & v10) of the Evernote software on my laptop computer. I can also run Evernote within a web browser at the same time, although I don't see an advantage to do that.

I hope that this is informative and helpful.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, C.Rhoads said:

I'm a bit surprised not to see any comments about this question after several weeks

Hi.  Don't think many people compare the two - they download either the MS version,  or the Evernote version and get on with it.  We've generally believed that the two are essentially the same so you go by whichever update process you're used to - which is the only difference.  I believe that it may be slightly more involved to change your account level if you're dealing via Microsoft,  but details.. details...  Thanks for the update anyhow.  

On 3/31/2021 at 1:02 PM, C.Rhoads said:

In my case, I uninstalled Evernote v10.9.10 (as noted in my initial post, above) via the Windows Control Panel. I then re-installed it via the Microsoft Store. In between these two steps, I installed Evernote Legacy 6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954), via download from Evernote's website.

Hi,

I'm confused. 

I have Evernote (Premium) and I'm using it with Windows 10.  I have 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).  When I check for updates I'm advised that I have the latest version.  As noted in the C. Rhoads comment it appears that there is a later version.  If so, why am I getting the message that there is no update?

The reason I'm curious (not to mention totally confused as to why there would be a v10.10) is that the "Home" screen recently released is not showing up on my system.

In any case any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, seurat01 said:

In any case any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.  I'm using the same version you are and will continue to do so for a while,  though 6.25.1 is the 'last' of the Legacy series of Evernote.  The versions restart with Evernote 10 which you can download and install from Evernote.com if you wish to do so.  Windows Store has (apparently) not gotten around to updating the version they offer yet.

V10 has had a 'mixed' reception,  so I'd suggest you read a few reviews first...

• Thanks 1

seurat01, From what I understand, Evernote was rewritten on a unified codebase to allow for consistency across different computing platforms, operating systems, and to provide a means for future/faster development. Currently, Evernote.com will sync with both older and newer versions of Evernote software. Vesion 10 has the newly released 'Home' screen, whereas Version 6.25 does not. However, v6.25 has some features not yet built into v10. (For the Microsoft Windows OS, there are no Evernote versions 7-to-9)

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm using the same version you are and will continue to do so for a while,  though 6.25.1 is the 'last' of the Legacy series of Evernote.  The versions restart with Evernote 10 which you can download and install from Evernote.com if you wish to do so.  Windows Store has (apparently) not gotten around to updating the version they offer yet.

V10 has had a 'mixed' reception,  so I'd suggest you read a few reviews first...

18 hours ago, C.Rhoads said:

seurat01, From what I understand, Evernote was rewritten on a unified codebase to allow for consistency across different computing platforms, operating systems, and to provide a means for future/faster development. Currently, Evernote.com will sync with both older and newer versions of Evernote software. Vesion 10 has the newly released 'Home' screen, whereas Version 6.25 does not. However, v6.25 has some features not yet built into v10. (There are no Evernote versions 7-to-9)

Thanks to both for the clarifications. 

I will lay low and wait to see how Version 10 works out.  The "Home" option looks mildly interesting but doesn't look like anything I can't live without for now.

Wayne

• Like 2