Evernote Helper

merman

Idea

The new evernote helper in V10 is quite useless. As soon as you choose the tool to excerpt a part from the note underneath, the note is being switched to another one. An unspotted bug, I presume. Please take care of it, the helper is one of the features that makes Evernote unique.

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

I *think* I'm experiencing the same bug (not positive from your description), but here is what is happening on Mac in v10.17.6.

Upon clicking the full screen option on the Helper, it immediately changes the screen focus to the Evernote app (brings it to the front as the active app) and the only full screen image you can capture is Evernote – you can't capture any other apps using the full screen mode. 

The window and selection icons work slightly better, but upon selection, the screen focus is still brought to Evernote. You can CMD + Tab to another app and use the window or cross hairs properly, but it isn't intuitive or how it *should* be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Fix it yourself - it is not the fault of EN. MacOS is taking Security and privacy serious - it will not allow any app to make copies of your screen if you did not authorize it.

You need to enable screen recording for EN in MacOS settings, security, tab privacy, submenu Screen recording. If EN is not listed, unlock the settings, tap the + Button under the list of apps, search EN, add it to the list and enable screen recording by setting the checkmark.

This is available since a long time, you find a lot of posts about it in the forum. Forum Search is your friend …

On 2/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

Fix it yourself - it is not the fault of EN. MacOS is taking Security and privacy serious - it will not allow any app to make copies of your screen if you did not authorize it.

You need to enable screen recording for EN in MacOS settings, security, tab privacy, submenu Screen recording. If EN is not listed, unlock the settings, tap the + Button under the list of apps, search EN, add it to the list and enable screen recording by setting the checkmark.

This is available since a long time, you find a lot of posts about it in the forum. Forum Search is your friend …

This does not address this user's issue, which involves the Helper's focus shifting to Evernote when using the screen, window, or selection options. I need to Command-Tab away from Evernote and back to the app content I actually want to capture every time. It's a total PITA. Of course Screen Recording is enabled in my Preferences.

• Level 5

The shift to the EN window when using the helper has been reported before.

It can be solved in some cases by allowing full screen recording in MacOS settings, Security, Privacy.

In other cases it was reported to be connected to using the AppStore version of the Mac client. The AppStore version is executed by MacOS in a sandbox mode, which is preventing access to areas outside of the sandbox. There is not much EN can do about it, because it is MacOS that is defining what works, and how. The solution in this case is to install the direct download instead of the AppStore version.

AFAIK this PITA is self inflicted. On my Mac the helper just works fine.

Well gee, @PinkElephant. I'm so happy that the helper works just fine for you. Yay.

As noted, I have Screen Recording enabled in Preferences. Obviously.

And my installation of Evernote is via direct download, so I haven't inflicted this PITA on myself because of that, either.

Any other suggestions? Preferably snark-free?