Cannot search within encrypted text

rmainva

Idea

Once again after the latest update I cannot search or edit within encrypted text. This has worked for years because I use the feature every day. It has been broken now for several months. You fixed it temporarily a few weeks ago and now it is back.

This is extremely frustrating that you would break an existing critical feature but not have any interest in fixing it. I don't understand the logic.

Please fix as soon as possible.

Thanks.

2 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, rmainva said:

Once again after the latest update I cannot search or edit within encrypted text. This has worked for years because I use the feature every day. It has been broken now for several months. You fixed it temporarily a few weeks ago and now it is back.

This is extremely frustrating that you would break an existing critical feature but not have any interest in fixing it. I don't understand the logic.

Please fix as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Since these are primarily user-to-ser support forums you are really speaking to fellow travellers who are finding ways to work around the issue.

I've never been able to search inside encrypted text. I wouldn't expect to be able to do so since it is supposed to be protected by a password. I'm not saying that you are mistaken but I am curious as to how that could be achieved.  I've just checked again and still cannot do that with the legacy program nor v10.

The edit within the encrypted text is, indeed, still not available under v10. I've not seen the temporary fix you mentioned. Perhaps something which missed us all that lasted only very briefly.

The fact is that encryption in Evernote has never been very robust - legacy or now. The encryption in the legacy version wasn't considered adequate by privacy purists but if you want it to work as it used to work then the advice will be to use the legacy program rather than v10. The legacy program provides everything you are familiar with.  You could run both versions alongside one another or just revert to legacy until v10 catches up with the features you require.

I've adopted an entirely different approach to encryption which I find to be more secure and more feature rich.  It is documented. It requires a few extra steps to do the initial encryption but once done is as good and as speedy as the faulty built in encryption.

I have been a premium user for years and this is the first time I've been unsatisfied enough to post an issue.  It is extremely frustrating that I can no longer search and edit encrypted text. I used to use this functionality several times a day. The notes I search and edit with encryption are actually the ones I use most often in Evernote.

I strongly urge Evernote to reinstate this functionality quickly. Not having it is enough to make Evernote much less valuable to me and I have already started looking to switch to a different app. I would really hope it could be resolved within 2-3 months max.