All my notes are missing since 2011

I use evernote on my iPhone and Mac and I can not tell what version of Evernote I'm on. When I open "About Evernote" on my Mac, the modal is blank. On my phone, I can't tell where to look. But I'm guessing it's updated to the most recent version because I can't update it in the App Store. 

When I accessed my account, the same one I've been using since 2011, on both my phone and Mac today, there are 0 notes. Instead of notes, I see an error message that says, Conflicting Changes (2019-10-01...) I was using my notes yesterday or the day before so something (an upgrade, I suspect) happened recently. 

Not sure what to do now but I'm panicking. I need my notes for something I'm doing right now. 

I downloaded my activity log but not sure what to do with it.

Edited by edennis
Added conflicting data info
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Standard advice is to ask you to check on Evernote.com to see what's become of your notes,  but as a basic user,  you're subject to a device limit which will ask you to disconnect one of your current devices to allow you to connect.... https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068-Understanding-the-device-limit

The conflicting changes message refers to a note issue,  not an account problem so maybe signing out of your Mac app and then back in will resolve it...

When I log in via a web browser it looks exactly like when I log in from my phone or laptop. What's interesting is that I use my notes almost daily. I have about 5 notebooks. When I log in now, I have 1 notebook and it's titled "Conflicting Changes (2019-10-01 21:15:12 +0000)

If you look at the date of the conflict it is in 2019. I've added hundreds of notes since then. And why would my other notebooks all disappear.

I looked through some other posts with issues similar to mine and it seems like I should delete my app version and download an older version. but when I go to see what version of evernote I'm on, the screen is completely white. No data whatsoever. 

One other weird thing I'm noticing now that I'm looking. In account history there are a lot of entries for my account being accesses from places all over the world! None of these are me. 

Maybe some deleted my notes? Can deleted notes be recovered?

image.thumb.png.e12d0f9ee564bf0f4e07bb7da50dfd8e.png

Following advice I saw from others, on my phone, I delete the Evernote app and then logged in (using my updated pw of course) and voila, there were all my notes. (All does not end well though.) So, I did the same thing on my laptop. But on my laptop my notes didn't show up. The About page will appear now so I can see that my Mac laptop is on version:

10.7.6-mac-mas-public (458452)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I went to go check what version my iOS device was using and when I opened Evernote again I saw the "count" for the number of notes decrease and right before my eyes I went from a few hundred notes down to 0 notes. WTH??

I guess I know they are there but I can't see them in my account.

My iOS is appears to be on 10.4.

Not sure what to do now...

• Level 5

@edennis The account access is troubling me (for you).

It may be that your account got hacked.

This may happen not because EN would be unsafe, but it may happen because your login data were unsafe in first place. Maybe the password was easy to guess, maybe it was stolen in one of the many breaches from other companies in the past.

• Do you use a unique and strong password for your account ? This is one quite long, complex (no word from any natural language, and nothing like 123456, more like qJK3*74sAD!2lkZU9? ) and never used for any other account.
  • Have you set up 2FA ?
  • Did you use a public computer (like in a library or hotel) to access your account ? Even only once, a while ago ...

If it was hacked, and notes were deleted, you maybe need help from support. If the notes are still in trash, they can be recovered. Finally deleted notes can not be recovered by the user himself.

• First thing is to change your account password NOW to a strong and unique password. Similar to the one above (but create your own). Then throw out all devices unknown to you.
  • Second is to use the web client to check whether notes are there. This is your master copy. Check the trash, what is in there can be recovered.
  • If you are ok now, set 2FA, and recover your notes.
  • If not, subscribe and send a support ticket right away.

For good passwords, start to use a password manager. He will generate good ones for you, and keep track of it.