Most irritating feature on Evernote iOS

Sovereign77

Idea

Well, technically this is the iPadOs. When typing on a note, I may need to naviagte my cursor to another position somewhere else on the screen. However, when I do this, if I seem to swipe left (even though I'm not intentionally doing it) Evernote takes me out of the current note and to note view (the list of all your notes in alphabetical order).

Is there a way to stop this nuisance happening?

• Like 5

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Makes really no sense - deactivate, reactivate, deactivate ...

When the soft keyboard is open, you can simply long press the spacebar. This converts the keyboard into a trackpad, that allows to place the cursor very precisely, and with no chance to unintentionally swipe.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Makes really no sense - deactivate, reactivate, deactivate ...

When the soft keyboard is open, you can simply long press the spacebar. This converts the keyboard into a trackpad, that allows to place the cursor very precisely, and with no chance to unintentionally swipe.

Wouldn't it just be easier to create an option to disbale the damn thing as my fellow commenter suggested?

Btw, I use a physical keyboard and not the soft one so doing what you suggested would actually cause more of a headache than the current situation, not to mention opening the soft keyboard would also take up half my screen adding to the headache.

I subscribed to ask about this same issue. The “long press the space bar” solution is no help because I mostly encounter this problem when reviewing notes and this keeps the keyboard open, taking up half the screen real estate. 

I’ve run into this same problem even without the keyboard open myself - I’m trying to scroll through the latest chapter or section of whatever I’ve been working on just to review it when suddenly the iPadOS version of the app decides I must have swiped just a hair diagonally to the right and suddenly backs me out of my notebook and what I was reading into an entirely different index. It’s worse on iOS - I just want to review my notes without having to deliberately swipe diagonally left to keep it from kicking me out of what I’m reading. It’s reached the point where I’ve considered dropping my premium membership since this discourages me from really using Evernote on my mobile devices.  I would love the ability to disable horizontal scrolling to keep from being kicked out of whatever I’m reviewing because Evernote thinks my scrolling finger moved a millimeter to the right. 

I’m probably going to get mocked for complaining about this but it is the ONLY issue I have with Evernote 10.7.1 (and later still an issue for 10.8) and I finally got fed up enough to make an account to ask about it....

• Like 2

Anyone else tried this again with version 10.13? It might have actually mitigated the problem. I was able to scroll through a long note after the update without Evernote deciding to randomly send me back to the notes view because it detects the slightest hint of horizontal motion.

Just making a note on an initial retest - I’ll update if I continue to see the improvement.

Update 7/25 - It’s still a problem for version 10.13.2. It doesn’t happen as much but if I try to scroll vertically through a longer document, no matter how careful I am, it’s still interpreting the motion as horizontal and closing the note. Just let us turn horizontal scrolling off in the mobile app? The back arrow works just as well.  In short, the latest version isn’t so twitchy and as ready to close a note as soon as it detects just the hint of horizontal motion anymore, but it still makes it a hassle trying to scroll through a document on mobile without the app suddenly deciding to close it.

Edited by Mandolin
Updated test findings,
  • Like 1

I have a note with a wide table. On Android, when I try to scroll to the left (to see the beginning of the table), it closes the note and goes back to "home". This is SO annoying. Almost as annoying as double-clicking the tray icon on Windows and getting "new quick note" instead of "open all notebooks".

I did before I knew this forum existed but got no reply so I assumed it was the consequence of a feature (since I’ve worked with managers who have wanted us to make things more difficult for users in the past that didn’t seem entirely implausible). 

Submitted another this week, we’ll see where that goes.

• Level 5

We are just users here, sometimes splitting insight, sometimes munching on new problems, sometimes having a bit of fun.

To contact EN this is the last channel I would think of. I probably would write a letter, hand crafted paper, fountain pen elaboration, registered mail to Mr.Ian Small, Evernote, Redwood City, Cal., U.S.A. before dropping something here and hoping he is going to read it.

But I could be dead wrong with that, and save me that stamp.

I use Android. I keep closing my notes by accidentally swiping right when I try to scroll down. This is extremely annoying and happens all the time. Please disable this feature or give users an option to disable it.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, Torlokofto said:

I use Android ...

We believe you are able to do a copy & paste. No need to prove it by copying the nearly exact posting you already did in the Android subforum to an iOS thread, just adding you use Android.

Double posting is agains forum rules.