Backlinks and inline adding page/date with command symbol

Mikhail Belokopytov

Idea

5 replies to this idea

If inline anchors aren't supported, at least provide a quick-add feature for linking to another note.

To link to note A within note B, you currently have to

• navigate to note A itself
  • copy it's link
  • navigate back to note B
  • find the location you wanted to insert the link in B again
  • insert the link. 

In Notion / Roam / Obsidian / MarkDown editors this is super easy: 

• 'add link' within Note B, with the cursor at the correct insert location, opens a search option for a note title, with partial search
  • you just select the note you want, its link gets inserted at the correct location. 
  • Done.

While linking to anchors within other notes would obviously be great, such a simple quick-add to other notes would suffice in many cases.

• Level 5*

I understand backlinks and do it manually and automated with an Applescript (Mac)

Can you add details for the "quick-add any block or link/mention page, add date or anything else"

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand backlinks and do it manually and automated with an Applescript (Mac)

Can you add details for the "quick-add any block or link/mention page, add date or anything else"

Thanks for your answer!

As for quick add - you can see examples in Notion (first thing that comes to mind). So user can press / and get a submenu of items to insert (instead of using mouse to choose item from toolbar)

Another option is to type "@" (without quotes) to mention a page or date inline of a note.

While typing this answer I figured out that there is a way to add link to a note - user can type [[ and create a link to a note that does not even exist.