soralsokal

Idea

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

This is a very, very, long-standing HTML feature, and oh so very useful for long notes. Two features I see essential for long (more than one page/screen) notes: Anchors/bookmarks Col

I found plenty of article and tutorials on table of content. But they all seem to only consider it for many notes.   I would link the table of contents to be in one note only. Anyone know if

Hi All, You may have noticed that all threads requesting Inline Tags/Anchor Points have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. (This is a separate request from the

Posted Images

22 hours ago, umina said:

First, are you kidding, anything is possible.

👍 😂 

And I agree to this.

Edited by MatS14
"And I agree to this"
  • Level 5*

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, umina said:

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible. 

First, you didn't understand what the first poster was saying, and it would really help if you learned to use the forum quoting mechanism so it would be easier to see what you were objecting to. I am guessing that it's this post:

This is not saying that it's not possible for Evernote to implement such a feature, just that the OP cannot do what they want in the current Evernote world.

Second, you should hire people who know this. 

Second, the person who wrote the above post is not an Evernote employee; he's an Evernote user just like you and me.

Third, if this many people want this feature and your (Evernote) think it's impossible the correct approach is to assign the task of a whitepaper on why its impossible (Specifically).

Again, nobody at all is claiming that the feature is impossible to implement.

If by the end of the paper that person can't give you a solution you have the wrong person.  But if the solution is complex or abstract give the problem to a real programmer or 2.  You will get solutions.  Review that for consistency with your implementation philosophy, see where it breaks, fix that, add the feature, and move on.

Nice rant, but irrelevant. Add your vote, and move on.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

Could you elaborate a bit on your setup using PhraseExpress? I seems interesting.

Thanks!

I need navigation within long notes.

The concept of navigation and anchors within a note sits well with bookmarks, which have wider applications.

I am posting this within iOS Evernote because navigation is especially needed when working with a small mobile device – and often in a fluid situation rather than deskbound.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, greiggy said:

Having got used to using jump links to navigate in a variety of docs and notes, it is hard to put up with Evernote's limitation. Increasingly I am having to rely on Evernote's competitors which all seem to do jump link/bookmark navigation rather well. 

I am familiar with "jump links" and make use of them.

They're more of a document feature; not so much notes.

I can put up with with Evernote's "limitation" by using a word processing file attachment, or splitting notes into sub-notes (note links)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, greiggy said:

I need navigation within long notes.

Hi.  Lots of previous discussion on this. Long story short,  a note that needs internal navigation is better off as a series of short notes linked by title, tags or keywords. 

I find it similar to mind mapping - any subject on which I'm writing a lengthy screed comes out as a series of ideas that vary widely in importance and relevance.  A mind map lets me create little notelets around the screen that I'll eventually (hopefully) link together in a logical order that may or may not have any relation to the order in which the points occurred. 

That's why long notes need editing - I'm moving paragraphs around,  correcting the logic and generally making a coherent argument out of whatever chaotic thoughts first came up.

Short notes are like the branches in a mind map.  I can create a note for each point,  save a search for the common title or tag, and see a list of all my notes on this subject whenever I wish.  I can create a parent Table of Contents note containing links to all my 'child' notes,  and I can move those links around in the ToC note until I like the order they're in.  Then I can either print all those notes in that order,  or just merge the notes into one.

Some users like to keep long diary notes - a year's worth of entries in one note.  Same argument though - just have a tag for the diary so you can find all the notes or one individual.  Added benefits include:

1. not scrolling for ages to find the current entry
  2. not losing all content to a corrupted note - at worst you may lose a day

It works for me,  but YMMV

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, greiggy said:

I would imagine that bookmarks and anchors would be quite straightforward,

Yeah.  So Evernote works on Windows (various versions) / Mac (various versions) / Android (various versions) / iOS (various versions) and the Web (only two current versions!) and has 250 million-ish customers (let's just call them 'Japan').  It's available worldwide and 24/7. 

Let's not talk about the huge range of devices and screen sizes they cover,  because around now my head starts to hurt.  If you make a change to the package that breaks any one of the millions of existing use cases...  someone will notice.  Loudly.  Invasions have happened with less incentive.

"Simple" and "straighforward" tend to go out the window when you have that much of a juggernaut trundling along behind you..  😁

• Level 5*
On 6/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, thatdh said:

Suggestion of implementation

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Brother Tobias said:

he fact that this is a standard feature of html going way back (not sure how far, but I know I used it years ago!) indicates this is a question of priority rather than possibility. 

Wot I said (but more elegantly put...)  ;)

On 6/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

More a UX idea rather then a coding suggestion but felt it was best illustrated in both, if only rudimentary.

Yes I expect they are busy, especially when it comes to there more general 2019 road map https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/ thought it they start slipping on some of the details their 'top of the category' position might be more unstable as other more targeted products come out.

I seriously feel for the devs when there must be such a push for enterprise use and stability and when more and more of their direct rivals are the likes of Microsoft and Google themselves (though Googles workflow differs enough with keep + drive docs that maybe its more direct with Microsoft's one note?).

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, thatdh said:

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

What I value most is the storage/organization/sync of my data

You're right - Evernote's OCR feature is/was one of the "killer" selling points

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.
I rely more on tag searches.
I can do my own OCR, with an external app

I am not sure I have ever used text recognition of images...

There are more important things. Evernote is not doing well as keeping up with competitors, let alone pioneering (as it once did). This spells decline, in today's fast moving world.

There are lot of votes aggregating, for important features. No sign of implementation. Previously loyal users will find solutions elsewhere, in this climate.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.

Always a surprise for me when an image appears in the results of a text search.  :)

• Level 5*

Not being much of a tagger I do find this occasionally useful.  I will take pictures of something and just stuff it into Evernote knowing that a word search will dig it out for me later.

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note, I have huge notes and I always want to add new content in the subtopic where it belongs, it takes me forever sometimes to find what I'm looking for so I can start writing under it. Even though I have titles and subtitles, I don't always remember what I called them to be able to search, so anchors with a little table of contents on the top of a note would be really handy!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Thais SRG said:

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note

Hi.  Recent Videos* suggest that Evernote is in the process of a root and branch rewrite of the Web (and other) clients,  so we should now be able to look forward to some of our requests being realized in months rather than years.  Given that this one has 425 votes now,  I'd hope that it's likely to be part of the package,  but a few extra votes can't hurt if anyone out there wants to chime in...

* See:

For Evernote, this could be rather simply implemented if the Evernote notes were supporting a slightly expanded version of html.  With html anchors, we could do that.

And while improving the html, Evernote could also add the html titles... (heading 1, 2, 3...)

Don't reinvent the wheel, Evernote.  :-)

2019, and this is still not been implemented? Why? This has been a request like, forever?

So useful feature, but so little the dev team listen to the community. It’s sad, really.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Thorz said:

2019, and this is still not been implemented? Why? This has been a request like, forever?

So useful feature, but so little the dev team listen to the community. It’s sad, really.

It's a request.  Evernote aren't obliged to respond or deliver - and may have other developments in progress that would delay this being implemented until they can provide the feature in all supported operating systems and on all devices.  If it was easy,  it would surely have been provided already...

Hi, how do I get the beta editor in my desktop version? I already like it
better.

Feature request:
We need in note hyperlinks where I click on something and then it takes me
to a different part of the same document. I know I can link to another note
but I want to be able to link to different parts in the same note, like a
lot of other people on the forums.
Thanks

On 2/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Inline Tags/Anchor Points have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity.

(This is a separate request from the ability password protect the Evernote App itself)

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Inline Tags/Anchor Points here!

Shane, please. Inline Tags/Anchor Point requests merged into this thread so you can better quantify and qualify user requests. I've been using Evernote for many years now, but I feel very conned when I read it. For more than 5 years now the community has been demanding a simple function that has been HTML standard for ages and you still seriously want to quantify?

I'm so annoyed by this that I'm seriously thinking about changing the product.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, mherman said:

Google docs provides this very basic, essential functionality - linking to sections within notes is a necessity. It's just simple html via anchor tags. Any basic WYSIWYG allows this, too.

Hi.  Evernote apparently didn't consider this feature to be "essential functionality" when the app was initially designed,  and a lot of users are still finding it possible to manage without linking to sections within notes.  It's a little more complicated than simple html when links need to work in various versions of several operating systems.  Evernote does not yet offer this option,  though it may be available in the future.  Meantime one possible work-around is to make each section a separate note,  and link them together with tags or titles;  access to all sections in then possible via one table of contents note

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, mherman said:

linking to sections within notes is a necessity

There's other requests for this and I'll merge the discussions

This is more of a document and word processing feature
Evernote is a note editor; more suited to short records

I would find it very helpful to be able to create links within notes ... especially for those notes that are long ... so that I could jump to a section or place within that same note.  Often my notes get long, and I edit them frequently, but I spend a lot of time scrolling up and down trying to find my place.  If I could only create a marker or two ... or createose a couple of links (almost a table of contents?) within those notes.   Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, geshelman said:

I would find it very helpful to be able to create links within notes

I moved your post to the primary discussion for this feature

>>notes that are long

oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp  😋

• Like 1

This feature would be really be very helpful for handling larger notes. I know personally because "One" competitor of Evernote has it already implemented.

Having each line/paragraph as addressable object with its own GUID would then also fairly simple allow other cool features like giving each line/paragraph a class (like header level 1, 2 3) and automatically create the table of contents in the beginning of the document.

I desperately need this feature as I am writing a novel. Writing short notes and linking them together through a table of content would mean the flow of the chapters would be lost because I need to switch to another "note" go to the next part of a chapter. Having everything all in one chapter is bad because finding a part of a chapter is tedious, making editing very difficult.

I did not see this discussed anywhere and sorry if it has been discussed... anyone have an idea on how to place a link within a note to travel to another spot in a long Evernote? Basically I have many notes, but one is very long and involves Sun-Saturday headers and would like to place a hyperlink at the top to click and take me to the day AND a hyperlink under the day to take me back to the top.

I know you will tell me to make a note one for each day - does not apply in this scenario

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, RobertCOL said:

I know you will tell me to make a note one for each day - does not apply in this scenario

Hi.   Well...  what can I say:  Evernote does not 'do' super-long notes well.  It's possible to create them, but the risk of accidentally deleting some or all of a year's work / the difficulty of finding places to edit or continue the text / the tendency of editors to jump to the top of the note when closed,  all make the job harder than it needs to be.  There is no 'trick' to linking back to individual sections,  it's just not currently possible.

However (as they say) there's no bar to using another app like Word which will support long documents,  then attaching that file to an Evernote note to be available to edit anywhere you have a device that can open the attached file.

The shorter notes thing is doable if you keep a Table of Contents note* with links to the headings of section notes,  which can themselves by ToC notes with links to even shorter passages,  so that a specific paragraph is only a couple of clicks (or a quick search*) away...

* ToC notes can be 'automated' by external app Filterize.  Every time you save a new note tagged <Story07> it can be added to that note's ToC with the entries optionally sorted by creation date or title.

** The search thing is possible if you have a unique code for each individual section - 'Story07_001' forinstance.

I have a couple of note 'trees' like this - they're kept in their own Stacks to avoid confusion with the rest of my content...

• Level 5

As @gazumped said, Evernote is not currently set up to do internal links within notes, though you're not the first one to request them. Searching, which is certainly more keyboard-centric, is the only way. If searching for the day names (Sunday-Saturday) wouldn't work, perhaps begin each section with a unique identifier, such as ###1, ###2, etc., which could be quickly searched for. As for returning to the top, Ctrl+Home should accomplish that. Best of luck!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, RobertCOL said:

anyone have an idea on how to place a link within a note to travel to another spot in a long Evernote?

As per the others, linking within a note is not supported by the Evernote note editor
There is a feature requested posted here.  You're welcome to add your vote

My solution would be to switch to a word processing editor (Apple Pages), and store the document as a note attachment

I like @gazumped's suggestion of using a Table of Contents to serve as the link,
however the means separate notes (which is also a good idea)

Bring this idea to life please. I've been an evernote user since the application launched. This seems like a simple a logical idea. Keep the development of evernote moving forward by bringing this essential digital note taking feature.

Yes, is would be great useful to have such anchors like 
anchor1#
anchor2#

For example you write some long manual for users. It is impossible to break it to multiple notes. So the clickable TOC is nesessary.
How can I vote for this feature?

Thanks
Vladimir

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Vladimir P. said:

How to vote for TOC inside a note?

Vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

Requests for this feature have been merged

>>For example you write some long manual for users. It is impossible to break it to multiple notes.

Why is it impossible?

37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

Voted. Only 3 votes? EN loses to Google Docs in that...

>>Why is it impossible?

Because some typical manual usually  is a single document. You will give the user in discomfort trying to read many notes instead of one. A document must be read back and forth. If user lost in big text, he always can return to TOC and click any topic.

If the text is long enough, you must provide  user some simple navigation. Like interactive or clickable TOC. The navigation anchors (eg. topic1#) is also good solution, because you can use it anywhere in text.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Vladimir P. said:

typical manual usually  is a single document...If user lost in big text, he always can return to TOC and click any topic

Manuals are usually divided into sections
ToC is a good idea - each entry can be linked to a section (stored as a separate note)
Include a link back to the ToC note in each section

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Manuals are usually divided into sections
ToC is a good idea - each entry can be linked to a section (stored as a separate note)

>stored as a separate note
This is just workaround. If user wants to read fast whole document he needs to make a lot of useless clicks, jumping to other notes and back.
Just imagine if Microsoft forces users to make a lot of Word files only to divide one document for sections :)

"sections" are not always big parts of text. It can be just a big paragraph that flows out of current screen. So TOC is very helpful.

good examples from Google (sure in EN it can be much simpler designed):

B12.0.0.png

001_Docs_Bookmarks-1721a8f651dd4fb68af41

Tutorial_ABM_TOCFromBookmarks%20(1).PNG

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Vladimir P. said:

If user wants to read fast whole document...if Microsoft forces users to make a lot of Word files

MS Word is a good product for creating documents
Evernote notes are more equivalent to web pages than "documents"    
Regardless, jump anchors are a web page feature; also jump to sub-pages

>>So TOC is very helpful

I agree - I use ToCs to simplify navigation between notes

I'd want this as well. 

You could preset heading objects which generate an ID based on the content of the heading. And, when a user hovers over the header, an image to the left could appear that allows you to copy the ID as a possible link. Then, you can use that id to create a link in the document that routes the user to the location of the ID. I believe Github Readme's already do this. Would be nice in note-taking for generating a table of contents. 

Why isn't this a thing yet?

Pretty sad that this company clearly not listening to users. Google docs have had this ability for years.

If Evernote doesn't add this simple but essential note taking / document management feature,  I am moving entirely to Google.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:34 PM, greiggy said:

Thanks, DTLow, and I agree with your strategy. For many situations... But I keep coming back to wanting jump links in Evernote and not having to swap between applications.

I think Evernote needs to be aware of the shift in expectations of users who will now be familiar with navigation in OneNote, Notion, Dropbox Paper,  ZohoWriter as well as the heavyweights MS Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs etc. 

Evernote must adapt and move on, or it will wake up and discover that its user base has moved on...

Couldn't agree more. This feature has been requested since 2014. 6 YEARS!

This feature could literally be added in 1-2 weeks of work from one of their teams.

Absolutely pathetic that this application does not have linking within notes available. So simple but fundamental to research, writing, content management, and hundreds of other uses.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:16 PM, DTLow said:

MS Word is a good product for creating documents
Evernote notes are more equivalent to web pages than "documents"    
Regardless, jump anchors are a web page feature; also jump to sub-pages

>>So TOC is very helpful

I agree - I use ToCs to simplify navigation between notes

Dude, stop making excuses for poor feature development. Evernote is not listening to users.

This feature is the second most requested feature and has been requested for over 6 years.

Jump anchors are not only web page feature (maybe in 2014). They are a document management feature. Evernote is a document tool. Without this simple aspect, the note taking capability is severely limited.

For example I find myself using evernote to do academic paper writing. I need to link to other areas of the same note to cross-reference ideas, and synthesize information better. Evernote is not capable of something so simple. So I move the note to docs and voila.

Google docs has had this feature for 5+ years. The same amount of time that this feature has been requested on Evernote. If a product manager was listening, and actually investigated this use case requested by hundreds of users, this may already be part of the program. Clearly they are not listening.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, LeBlanc said:

Jump anchors are not only web page feature (maybe in 2014). They are a document management feature.

Agreed, jump anchors are a quite useful feature; I use them in many of my documents

>>Dude, stop making excuses <whine> <whine>

No excuses; just solutions

There's a feature request posted at the top of the discussion.  You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>Evernote is a document tool.

Evernote is a storage and organization tool for Notes/documents
The included note editor is adequate for basic notes
There's note links, but no internal jump anchors

>>So I move the note to docs and voila.

I use Apple Pages.  Microsoft Word is also a good solution    
The document is stored as a note attachment

• Like 1
On 5/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Lots of previous discussion on this. Long story short,  a note that needs internal navigation is better off as a series of short notes linked by title, tags or keywords. 

I find it similar to mind mapping - any subject on which I'm writing a lengthy screed comes out as a series of ideas that vary widely in importance and relevance.  A mind map lets me create little notelets around the screen that I'll eventually (hopefully) link together in a logical order that may or may not have any relation to the order in which the points occurred. 

That's why long notes need editing - I'm moving paragraphs around,  correcting the logic and generally making a coherent argument out of whatever chaotic thoughts first came up.

Short notes are like the branches in a mind map.  I can create a note for each point,  save a search for the common title or tag, and see a list of all my notes on this subject whenever I wish.  I can create a parent Table of Contents note containing links to all my 'child' notes,  and I can move those links around in the ToC note until I like the order they're in.  Then I can either print all those notes in that order,  or just merge the notes into one.

Some users like to keep long diary notes - a year's worth of entries in one note.  Same argument though - just have a tag for the diary so you can find all the notes or one individual.  Added benefits include:

1. not scrolling for ages to find the current entry
  2. not losing all content to a corrupted note - at worst you may lose a day

It works for me,  but YMMV

This does not work and is not a good workaround.

Clicking through multiple windows and managing your 'note' through multiple 'notes' makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Agreed, jump anchors are a quite useful feature; I use them in many of my documents

>>Dude, stop making excuses <whine> <whine>

No excuses; just solutions

There's a feature request posted at the top of the discussion.  You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>Evernote is a document tool.

Evernote is a note/document storage and organization tool   
The Included note editor is adequate for basic notes - but no jump anchors

>>So I move the note to docs and voila.

I use Apple Pages.  Microsoft Word is also a good solution    
The document is stored as a note attachment

Thanks for your feedback!

I've already upvoted this over a year ago. Not sure why, since it doesn't appear that these power user requests are being prioritized.

--

Yes, Apple pages and Google Docs and Microsoft Word are all good solutions, but you need to go to a new application.

We pay more for Evernote than all 3 of those above put together. This should be a feature that Evernote has. Its very easy to do and would take minimal development work.

Anyway, if this feature doesn't come by the end of my annual sub I will be moving off Evernote completely. Google Docs is now 100% up to speed with the ease of access to docs, and mobile friendliness. Plus has 1000x more features. I've been looking for reasons to stay on Evernote as I've been a user since the beginning. Without this simple feature its a no brainer.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Inline Tags/Anchor Points have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity.

(This is a separate request from the ability password protect the Evernote App itself)

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Inline Tags/Anchor Points here!

How many power users does it take to get a feature developed? Links within notes would take you 1 - 2 weeks (one sprint). Its also a feature all of your major competitors have.

I think you need to look at your voice of the customer feedback a little more seriously. Evernote is supposedly known for its design thinking methodologies. But clearly this is not the case.

Its been 6 years and hundreds of customers requesting this feature. Its time to start listening or start losing.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, LeBlanc said:

How many power users does it take to get a feature developed?

Dunno -- how many of them have access to the Evernote code base and are capable of developing this feature so that it works across all of Evernote's applications and its back end, or are involved with actual Evernote decision making?

Links within notes would take you 1 - 2 weeks (one sprint).

You are either not being serious or not actually knowledgeable about software development.Or both.

Its also a feature all of your major competitors have.

The story remains the same as it's always been: it would certainly be a useful feature to have (and I've upvoted it), but if it's a critical feature for you to have, then you should explore other options.

I think you need to look at your voice of the customer feedback a little more seriously.

And they do, but they're doing something else right now. I'd suggest that you check out any and all of the CEO's posts to find out why new features might not be a big priority at this time. I'd start here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/

Evernote is supposedly known for its design thinking methodologies.

I'm not even sure what that even means; sounds like technobabble gobbledegook to me. References?

• Like 1

+1 I really miss this feature no wonder it's second most voted feature request. Any ETA for this request, it's been six years since the thread creation. Also would urge the admins to atleast put a feature-request tag. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, himanshu219 said:

+1 I really miss this feature no wonder it's second most voted feature request. Any ETA for this request, it's been six years since the thread creation. Also would urge the admins to atleast put a feature-request tag. 

I think they already know it's a feature request...

This will be great. Not sure if we are meaning the same thing. Recently, i have been using the Zettlekasten method in note taking. 

The Roam Research software got this feature where any word, sentence, bullet block, can be tagged, and turned into a page/link. 

Over time, these tags crossed link and form a web of knowledge. 

Right now in evernote. I rely on the "Context" and Search feature to pull out possible related notes/content. I also manually create links (cross reference) to my notes. I will be very powerful if evernote have that feature, inline tagging or linking. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, MosesGTC said:

any word, sentence, bullet block, can be tagged, and turned into a page/link. 

This discussion related more to a table of contents within a note

Currently tags can only be set at the note level   
I also use keywords within note contents, for example[keyword1]   
These are searchable

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, silvershower said:

so this has been asked for for 6 years and no one at evernote cares? 

Or they care about something else more...  🤷‍♂️

Could Evernote please consider having a feature that enables the user to place a bookmark(s) at certain place(s) within a note?
This is particularly helpful in long notes, where I’m reading or editing a certain part of the note and I have to temporarily leave the app and toggle onto another app (eg. reply to a whatsapp message) before returning to the note again to continue at the point where I had earlier left off.
Often times, when I swivel back to the note, Evernote re-loads and displays the note right at the beginning of the note I had been working on, and not the place within the note I had earlier been working on prior to toggling to whatsapp. This requires me to spend time scrolling back down to locate the earlier position. Thanks.

Please build this feature in. I'm horribly disorganized and trying to get better. I would love to be able to create my to-do list at the top of a note, then have a details section at the bottom for each of my tasks. From there, I could place an anchor at each task to bring me to that exact comment.

I was compelled to create a forum account just now after learning that simple linking between notes isn't a feature of Evernote.

Apparently this was first requested back in 2014 and still hasn't been implemented.

I'd been thinking of coming back to Evernote the last few days, paid for premium, and created some notes to get a feel for the software after being away for awhile. But now that I know linking isn't a thing at all (let alone bi-directional links, the new craze thanks to Roam), I'm shocked that anyone can effective take notes and connect ideas within Evernote.

Until Evernote solves this problem, I just don't see this as a serious piece of software for those of us wanting to do more than just clip things from the web and write stuff. Drawing connections between ideas is important and Evernote doesn't seem to get that.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Ellimist69 said:

simple linking between notes isn't a feature of Evernote.

That's incorrect      
Simple linking between notes is a feature of Evernote; I use it all the time

The discussion you're posting in is for links/bookmarks within note contents

On 12/31/2015 at 1:20 PM, JMichaelTX said:

This is a very, very, long-standing HTML feature, and oh so very useful for long notes.

Two features I see essential for long (more than one page/screen) notes:

1. Anchors/bookmarks
  2. Collapsible sections

Both have been available in web pages since the early days of the web (late 1990's).

ATTN:  Evernote/ @Jackolicious, @SoftwareMarcus, @Justin Street:   Come on, this is the very definition of productivity!

I truly agree 👆

Really want to see they implement this feature

9 hours ago, Jason Yapri said:

I truly agree 👆

Really want to see they implement this feature

I can't believe it's alamost been 5 years since this feature request...

I hope they will implement this soon in 2020..

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

For the record I have some jump links that work in a 'view only' Evernote note by a very round-about method.  It also allows markdown styling of the note.

Allocate the note to a notebook linked with Postach.io and tag "published" to publish it online as a blog. (Your blog can be password-protected for security if required)

Use standard HTML tags to include the jump anchors,  and place the connecting links anywhere you like in the page.

Set up link
Jump to link
<a id="linkname"> </a>
<a href="#linkname">Click here </a>

I use Typora to generate the note content and copy the markdown version of my WYSIWYG text into the note.

An example is here

It's a good way (IMHO) to get a reference notebook online and visible from anything with web access.  Editing is something I'm currently addressing by including a link to a Google document which can be edited by my users.  I can then edit the original note as required.  (There's no such link on this page)

NB This is not the best-designed blog in the world - I'm very rusty at HTML, new to Markdown and Postach.io and I'm sure I can do a lot better.  Working on it!

• Like 1

Even MS Word can handle in-document links. After six years of begging EN I suppose they are just not capable of making this happen. I'd be keen on recommendations for other note apps that can handle links.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Joweirqt said:

I'd be keen on recommendations for other note apps that can handle links.

I recommend word processing apps MS Word or Apple Pages,    
stored in Evernote as a note attachment fille

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Joweirqt said:

Thanks, but I use a PC with an iPhone, and the iPhone doesn't have MS Office so would this still work with a Word attachment?

Generally speaking, whatever app you chose - you need a copy on all your devices

btw  Apple Pages can read/write MS Word documents

Thanks for the suggestion. While I have been able to insert and view MS Word attachments in EN, with the particular note I need this function for it does not work. I added some links to an attachment to this particular note and now the note won't even load on my iPhone. I can see the preview and the time it was last edited, but now I just get  a blank page when loading the note on my iPhone.

I am not sure if this is the best place to put this recommendation, as it really applies to all the new Betas/versions.

I really love the new "feature" with different style headers.  It would be great to provide some sort of option to view an index or outline based on the Large Header, Medium Header and Small Header, with clickable links to take you to that point in the note.  Especially for longer notes, this new feature really provides the opportunity to help organize notes.

This outline/index could be just another item under the three dot menu, or maybe it can just be made a part of the Note Info screen that already exists 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, aukirk said:

It would be great to provide some sort of option to view an index or outline based on the Large Header, Medium Header and Small Header, with clickable links to take you to that point in the note.

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion on links within notes      
This is the next requirement before getting to generate a ToC based on heading styles

I have forever wanted the ability to create anchor links to a spots within the same note. 

Basically, I want to create the equivalent of the html <a href="#page_location"> inside a note. 

Hoping now that v10 is here, this can be seriously considered.

I can't believe this request has been around since at least 2014 and it still hasn't been implemented. Every other platform already has anchor points and a table of contents! May have to give up Evernote premium in favor of another service if this does not get fixed.