The latest upgrade to Evernote 10 removes support for local notebooks. This took me completely by surprise. I am very, very angry. I am an academic, and Evernote (was) my reference manager. 

I have thousands of notes that I now need to export to a more useful piece of software.

Does anyone have a working script that allows ENEX files to be converted to JSON?

Zonderkoolzuur you and I agree!

I’m going to be migrating to Joplin (joplinapp.org).  It has an Evernote import tool.  Allows the user to be in total control if his/her data.  Is open source and syncs across all major platforms.  I suggest you check it out.

Not having private notebooks is a deal-killer for me.  Evernote was literally a life changing application for me.  I’ve been singing it’s praises - and subscribing - for years.  However, not having private notebooks renders the app unusable in my highly-confidential business.

So long, Evernote.  Hello Joplin.

Thanks @DSE, I will check it out!

I am also looking at making the switch to Zotero. I have been a bit hesitant to go down that route in the past because the citation style I use is not supported (which is why I have all my LaTeX references 'hard coded' in Evernote notes). 

I see some people have made some scripts in the past that converts ENEX to JSON, but it looks like they were abandoned years ago and no longer work unfortunately.

I echo your comments about the problem with using Evernote for confidential business. It's simply impossible.