Notes hidden from tags hierarchy

Mesoman

Idea

I have discovered where some of my missing notes went...

If you, like many of us, use tags to organize your notes into a hierarchy, BEWARE:

The new app will hide all notes from the tags browser that are not at the bottom level of the hierarchy. You cannot even tell they are there except by going to the Tags directory (click on "Tags") and seeing tags that have a non-zero count but also have subsidiary tags. As far as I can tell, the only way to find those notes by the tag they are under is to search for the tag, and then look through the notes that happen to have that tag (the search will bring up other stuff too, if the text matches).

Example:

• TopTag
    • NoteAtTop
    • MiddleTag
      • Note1inMiddle
      • Note2inMiddle
      • BottomTag
        • Note3atBottom

The only note that will be visible by browsing this path is "Note3atBtoom.": The rest will be invisible, with no indication that they are hidden.

Making a note visible in this hierarchy is quite a tedious chore, requiring you to create a tag at the lowest level, and adding that tag to all the notes you want to see.

Needless to say, I am most unhappy about this. It appears that Evernote does not take tags seriously enough, even though they are the only way to organize notes in a browseable hiearchy.

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

The new app will hide all notes from the tags browser that are not at the bottom level of the hierarchy.

An alternative to the "tags browser" (sidebar tag tree) is the Tags filter

Screenshot from my Mac

52703338_ScreenShot2020-10-28at11_45_21AM.png.d86f89b67111681029cc534131292de2.png