Sort notes by Author

Judith Bott

Idea

Dear evernote developers,

in older evernote versions, one could sort listed notes by the "Author" field. This is not possible in the latest version (even though the "Author" field still exists). My consequence: I am still using an older version, since I really need this sorting function.

I'd be happy if you could take this into consideration when revising the App.

Thank you very much.

Judith

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

And counting …

Nobody will do a thing in v10 just to „stop“ a user to stick with legacy. This is simply ignored, as being your personal decision.

If you miss a feature in v10, you can send feedback to EN, or issue a support ticket. In both cases explain your use case - „I want it as in legacy“ is no use case. Personally I doubt anything will happen, this is a very rare request here in the forum.

49 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

this is a very rare request here in the forum.

But people do ask for other sorts which have been removed in V10 e.g. tags

For me it seems logical that if you can put a field in the top list or side list view you should be able to sort by it, simply by clicking the field name, just like you can for title, updated, created  etc.

However in most cases the advanced search syntax will give you what you want. For "author" these are the examples given:

author:"robert parker"
author:robert*
-author:*

The quotation marks are needed for names whith spaces, the wild card allows you to find names that start with a particular string and the - allows you to search for notes not authored by somebody (or in this case with no author).

It is worth noting that this picks up the author as defined in the note information. This appears to not always be the same as the "Created by" or "Updated by" fields in the top or side view list. Several of my recent notes had no author but I am listed under "Created by"!

The full, if slightly out of date, search syntax is here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php with some useful updates https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828 (for completeness, they are not relevant here) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sure - my point was not to discourage requests.

My point was that requests should a) better be directed at EN staff, either via feedback or a support ticket, and b) should hold a description of a real life use case, not the rather stale argument „it exists as well in XYZ“.

The later is a call for bloating, not for improvement (no matter whether XYZ is legacy or another developers app).

About sorting by tag: It can help - but only if you pervert your tagging in a way that it mimics the sorting logic. If you use tags „naturally“, sorting does no good, because all it does is to sort by the alphabetically first tag.

Those looking for it likely follow a system like TSW - which means only a tiny fraction of all users would have a benefit. But as every search index comes at a cost in database complexity and performance, it has a negative impact (small or big) on all users.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About sorting by tag: It can help - but only if you pervert your tagging in a way that it mimics the sorting logic. If you use tags „naturally“, sorting does no good, because all it does is to sort by the alphabetically first tag.

I generally don't need to sort by tags but, as far as I know, it is still the best way of identifying notes that contain no subtags of a particular tag. I don't believe the search syntax can cope with "contains tag X but no other tags".