(Archived) Feature request: "star" rating for notes

In any collection of anything (including notes), there are "standout" items that one would like to flag (and be able to search on).

Many content management applications (e.g., iTunes, iPhoto) allow items to be rated by the user from 1 to 5 stars. It would be useful if Evernote had this capability too.

In the photography world, a "negative star" rating (like -1 stars) conventionally means that the item is marked for deletion. Zero stars isn't a low rating—it just means that no rating has been assigned yet.

Finally, the star rating is supposed to accept non-integer numbers (such as 2.55), so that things like "average rating by a bunch of critics" can be handled.

And don't forget to make the ratings settable/accessible by AppleScript.

• Level 5

It's very easy to highlight your standout items with Evernote - just create a tag named Star.

If you really need to rank your starred notes, you could create tags Star-1, Star-1, and Star-3. However that seems to be a bit overboard in my opinion.

Regarding the "average rating by a bunch of critics", it sounds like you want to offer a shared notebook and let people vote on the contents like a poll. That is the first time I have seen such a request on this forum. I doubt that it has much "legs" in the priority of new Evernote projects.

Yes, of course one could use "Star-1," "Star-2" etc. as you suggest. But this wouldn't make it easy to search for, say, all notes that have a rating better than 2.5 stars.

I don't agree that such a system would be "overboard" for people who keep photos in their notes. As I mentioned, the "5-star" rating system is extremely popular for media like photos and songs.

One of my personal crusades is to harmonize the use of metadata across different file types, and this feature would be a step in that direction. Another such step would be Evernote's adoption of the budding "OpenMeta" standard for tagging items, which is already being used by quite a few Mac applications.

I don't agree that such a system would be "overboard" for people who keep photos in their notes. As I mentioned, the "5-star" rating system is extremely popular for media like photos and songs.

I keep photos in my notes. I do not use EN as my photo organizer. (Many of those already exist.) I keep audio in my notes. I do not use EN as my music organizer. (Many of those already exist.) I DO use EN to store a bunch of other information. I have notes I use very often (weekly & daily.) I put those in an easy to get to notebook. NBD. I don't need no stinkin' stars. :D

• Level 5*
One of my personal crusades is to harmonize the use of metadata across different file types, and this feature would be a step in that direction. Another such step would be Evernote's adoption of the budding "OpenMeta" standard for tagging items, which is already being used by quite a few Mac applications.

Everything I've looked at claims that OpenMeta is a Mac-only solution. How does it apply to a cross-platform product like Evernote?

~Jeff

Archived