Hi,

It seems like the internal links don't work reliably. 

I noticed that when Evernote is in the background, clicking an internal link doesn't open a note, only Evernote will open (see video). When Evernote is closed completely via the app switcher (swiped up), the note will open. 

The internal "classic" links don't show this issue, which is why I prefer using those via the Shortcuts app (see second video).

It seems that the new beta for Mac doesn't have "classic" internal links, which creates a huge problem, since the current internal links that don't start with "evernote://" don't actually work on iOS unless I close the app completely after each use and on Mac they just open the web browser, which makes them useless. 

RPReplay_Final1600269240.MOV

RPReplay_Final1600269912.MOV

• Like 1

I found a bug where a URI is transferred to the new Evernote app and it doesn’t open the note.  I verified the account [Evernote Business] I have open is the correct account (it should switch accounts anyways)

here is the page with the hyperlink to a shared note at the bottom of the page: https://www.notion.so/communitygarden/Waking-Up-Happy-Together-fad2bb1545fd4e5c929d1f6ab8296b1a

the hyperlink starts with “The 12 months...

I’ve attached a screencast with 3 scenarios

1. clicking the hyperlink in a private Safari tab showing the shared note link is valid and opens up in Safari
  2. clicking the hyperlink in a regular Safari tab (logged into Evernote) and the note doesn’t open up in the Evernote 10 app
  3. clicking the hyperlink in the Notion app and transferring to Evernote 10 and the note doesn’t open up either.   I also verify that the note indeed is accessible in the open account in the Evernote app.  I liked the previous behavior where the shared note opened up in a Safari sub-window in Notion instead of transferring control to Evernote.

in general, because I use multiple Evernote accounts, like to see Safari always request if I wish to open the note in Safari or transfer control to Evernote (like you see in scenario 1 in a private tab)

This is a similar issue to what I was referring to in another bug "report" I posted here recently, that internal links to Evernote are broken (no replies there yet, not sure how aware Evernote is). It doesn't seem to matter if the copied URL is an internal URL or a shared (internal) URL. They both don't open the actual notes.

Could you try something? If you close the Evernote app completely from the app switcher and repeat the process of clicking your shared note from Notion, does it open the correct note in Evernote?

@Chris_W thank you for the heads up!  I totally forgot to search the forum in frustration with this issue.

I tried force quitting Evernote and clicked on the link in Notion and it launches Evernote on the most recent note (which is not the target note).

I watched your first video and see that force quitting helps for you.

Here is the shared note link verbatim:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s427/client/snv?noteGuid=ee7c2169-1b0b-45b8-87c8-f285352ba700&noteKey=b95c0472117cc39750492fc6e3214fd8&sn=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com%2Fshard%2Fs427%2Fsh%2Fee7c2169-1b0b-45b8-87c8-f285352ba700%2Fb95c0472117cc39750492fc6e3214fd8&title=Proposal%2BIndex%2B%2B

Clicking on the link above [while embedded in this Notion page] will open the app and whether the app is in the background or launches newly, it does not open the note.

Edited by chinarut
insert Notion page link to make it clear it is different behavior than clicking the same URL embedded in the post below in this forum

@Chris_W i think you stumbled on something.  after I posted, I tried clicking the click embedded in this forum in my above post and for some reason, in the scenario where you click it and Evernote needs to launch, it transfers control back to Safari!

So this does simplify things a bit and takes Notion out of the picture.

Moderators, if it turns out this is the same issue, you are welcome to merge these threads. [EDIT: I see the threads have been merged. thanks]

I’ve attached the screencast.

@chinarut Thanks for your input here.

I tried with your shared link from above and I can confirm that when clicking your link, Evernote opens as long as it is in the background, but it doesn't actually open the linked note (same behavior as in my first video

When Evernote is closed completely (swiped up in app switcher), clicking the shared link opens a Safari tab, which is different behavior compared to my example. In the case of my link from the first video, closing Evernote worked as a solution to open the actual note in Evernote, while your link opens the actual note in a Safari tab.    

To summarize, closing Evernote completely opens the note that was supposed to be openend (instead of just the app) with differing behaviors (Safari tab vs. Evernote app) depending on the link (unclear if there's a difference in format between shared internal links and internal links), while clicking any link with Evernote open in the background does not open the intended note at all

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
On 9/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, Maurice Rubino said:

After a couple of hours, I found this solution to opening links in the version 10 IOS version

1) Click on your profile photo to access settings.

2) Click on Notes

3) Turn on Edit protection

Once I did this, all links will now open.

Maurice Rubino

marubino@comcast.net

Thank you, but that doesn't work for me. I had this setting on from the beginning, so all described behavior above still holds true. The only internal links that always work to open the note, are the ones starting with evernote:/// (classic internal links), which have been removed from the Mac beta.

Are you sure you are opening links that DON'T start with evernote:/// and also that Evernote is open in the background?

• 1 month later...