Automatic reciprocal internal note links

Wayne Villars

Idea

I find myself creating "See also:" sections in my notes where I add internal links to other notes with related content. The inconvenience is that I would like the link to go both ways, but at the moment, I have to do that manually.

In case you're not following, here's a simple example:

Say I create note #1. Then a few days later, I create note #2. Within note #2 I want to reference note #1 (because it has related content), so I add the following to note #2 (using internal note links):

See also:
    * note #1

Since both notes clearly have related content, I also want note #1 to reference note #2. And herein lies the inconvenience:

In its current form, I then have to manually open up note #1 and add something like this:

Referenced by:
    * note #2

I call that a reciprocal link...I'm not sure of the proper technical terminology. What would be great is if that reciprocal link was created for me automatically...you know, in case I forget.

Taking that a step further, it would also be very cool if I could select a group of notes and have the option to create reference links between all of them with a single click.

• Like 3

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
On 8/26/2020 at 8:09 AM, Wayne Villars said:

Taking that a step further, it would also be very cool if I could select a group of notes and have the option to create reference links between all of them with a single click.

Until this is implemented, my workaround is scripting on a Mac (Applescript)  
The set of links is appended to the note contents

There is also a Copy Links function to create the links set, but it would have to be manually pasted into each note